KP5 (G1 minor) on Friday 6th November. Enough to see northern lights from Helsinki area?

Guest Borja

Hi,

I just saw in spaceweather last tweet with this information:

"The Kp-index is predicted to reach Kp5- (G1-Minor) in 45 minutes"

Looks like it could be visible from Helsinki/Espoo area if I leave the polution light zone, however I tried last days/week with similar KP index levels and I couldn't see anything. Sometimes is hard to interpret the data and I was wondering if somebody could help me in order to know if there is any chance to see northern lights based on this information.

Also I am tracking other websites, e.g. for aurora levels: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe

Or for cloudiness levels: http://en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/rain-and-cloudiness

And based on that information (and the map), looks possible to see something?

Edit: well, it's quite obvious is really cloudy, so no any chance to see anything this time...

Many thanks in advance,

Borja

Guest Engelsman Finland

I believe so Helsinki observatory has released alerts at 21:30. I believe there was 3 m class flares. So I am guessing they will hit at different times. Although I am further east. Cloud cove could be an issue.

Hi. The Kp tweet you mention is a prediction so it might happen. Might not happen. Magnetometer activity suggests aurora could indeed be possible. The Bz is mostly northward but does go south every now and then. Helsinki (away from city lights) should be able to see something if you have decent weather.

Kp4 should be enough for you in the future but always check a magnetometer like Kiruna for the activity at that exact moment. If you don't understand something of course feel free to reply and we will help where we can.

Engelsman: not every flare releases a CME. There was only one CME heading for Earth which arrived today.

Good evening Borja from northern Saskatchewan Canada, I am just new here on this site, looks really good! From NOAA  aurora forecast it looks like we may see more borealis up here but more  further into Eastern Canada. Minimal light pollution here and no cloud cover tonight so in a few hours I'll check again, right now just very starry. All the best up there to you and everyone here!☼

This looks really promising, but during day time and fully cloudy does not seem any option to see anything nearby Helsinki area.

1 uur terug, Stephane Mabille zei:

KP Index satellite / DST

6 uren geleden, char zei:

Good evening Borja from northern Saskatchewan Canada, I am just new here on this site, looks really good! From NOAA  aurora forecast it looks like we may see more borealis up here but more  further into Eastern Canada. Minimal light pollution here and no cloud cover tonight so in a few hours I'll check again, right now just very starry. All the best up there to you and everyone here!☼

Welcome. G2 geomagnetic storm conditions and a fine south-pointing Bz should be more than enough for Canada, Good luck!

;) Good Morning Marcel from Canada... at 0430 I checked outside and the sky was shifting like sand, beautiful white rivers of aurora flowing overtop, still ongoing ...thankyou for this wonderful site! Have a great weekend everyone!

Guest iocaste
4 uren geleden, Stephane Mabille zei:

KP Index satellite / DST 

I've never seen northern lights live but I really want to! :) I live in Stockholm and I'm checking the forecasts on a regular basis.

Is there a possibility to view it from Stockholm this time? 

3 minuten geleden, iocaste zei:

I've never seen northern lights live but I really want to! :) I live in Stockholm and I'm checking the forecasts on a regular basis.

Is there a possibility to view it from Stockholm this time? 

Welcome! Last night should have been more than enough for Stockholm but just remember you need to get away from the bright city lights to see aurora. Kp4 should be enough to see aurora near the horizon.

1 uur terug, char zei:

;) Good Morning Marcel from Canada... at 0430 I checked outside and the sky was shifting like sand, beautiful white rivers of aurora flowing overtop, still ongoing ...thankyou for this wonderful site! Have a great weekend everyone!

That is great to hear! Congratulations! If you have any images feel free to upload them and share them with us!

All I got on my little iphone was Venus, Jupiter and the moon this morning, a bit of sunrise glow, too tough shooting aurora ,may have to get better equipment eh? Back in August I tried as the sky was dancing... am trying to upload the photo which I contrasted greatly on the puter to capture even the least bit of detail ... anyone got ideas what I should shoot aurora with? Thankyou once again everyone!

more borealis.jpg

Here is this morning, wish I could show you the shifting borealis! But it was an amazing moon and did see a shooting star also!

sm.jpg

Archived