Would have a warning prevented the Quebec blakcout in 89

Guest danderson500

Guest danderson500

simple question: would have a warning prevented the Quebec blackout in 1989? the reason I ask is we had the backup power but Quebec didn't had a warning been in effect would have there been a blackout?

5 hours ago, danderson500 said:

simple question: would have a warning prevented the Quebec blackout in 1989? the reason I ask is we had the backup power but Quebec didn't had a warning been in effect would have there been a blackout?

Depends on how long a warning.

But mostly no, because our grid is extended over a very, very large surface (our electric generation facilities can be 1000km+ from the distribution points) and mostly sits on mineral-rich, igneous rock, so the high-voltage lines were the channel through which the whole "magnetic flood" (let's call it that) discharged.

Now, the whole thing has been improved, and it's much more resilient.

3 hours ago, AurorahunterPA said:

So could we make preparations for it today seeing as we have better power grid setups? (Ps sorry for being wrong)

What happened in 1989 is that very big transformers got overheated and stoped working, causing a 9-hours blackout. Today, it would be much less likely to happen, since measures have been taken to reduce the odds of a CME-induced blackout.

What kind of preparations do you have in mind? I know for a fact that the White House recently acknowledged the risks of solar events on the grid : https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/10/28/enhancing-national-preparedness-space-weather-events

Guest danderson500

I have wondered because of what happened in 1989, the grid people were ready in 1991 when the sun was really active(although the flares were lesser than in 89.)

Archived