Storm Alert

Spookwoman

41 minuten geleden, GVB zei:

as far as I have seen, it seems quite difficult to see them tonight from Helsinki, right?

We are still under minor G1 geomagnetic storming conditions so in theory Helsinki should see aurora near the northern horizon. It should be possible. The direction of the IMF (Bz) is however mostly pointing northward which of course isn't favorable for aurora displays. I am moderately confident that there should be something visible towards your northern horizon but if it will be a grand show. Doubt it.

1 hour ago, Marcel de Bont said:

We are still under minor G1 geomagnetic storming conditions so in theory Helsinki should see aurora near the northern horizon. It should be possible. The direction of the IMF (Bz) is however mostly pointing northward which of course isn't favorable for aurora displays. I am moderately confident that there should be something visible towards your northern horizon but if it will be a grand show. Doubt it.

Thank you! :) I have just been outside but we weren't lucky because it is mostly cloudy, so, other time. Thank you once again and keep doing this great job!

Guest Engelsman Finland

Just had a small show in southern finland.. This is from Tesjoki. I was busy alerting friends at Aurora alerts in finland on FB (phoning neighbours etc)

IMG_4022.JPG

The Wing-Kp is indeed going for a G2 in about an hour or so. It is likely responding to the period we are having where the Bz went down to -9nT. If the Bz continues to hold southward we will likely keep these G1 conditions and we might even reach G2 with a bit of luck. It's now casting like always. Helsinki will likely continue to have aurora throughout the evening with these stats.

2 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

The Wing-Kp is indeed going for a G2 in about an hour or so. It is likely responding to the period we are having where the Bz went down to -9nT. If the Bz continues to hold southward we will likely keep these G1 conditions and we might even reach G2 with a bit of luck. It's now casting like always. Helsinki will likely continue to have aurora throughout the evening with these stats.

Thank you Marcel. Still with clouds...

Helsinki area stills cloudy. Anybody saw something around Helsinki-Espoo area? just to see if it makes sense to me to move with bike  ~15km to some dark place...

Guest Engelsman Finland

We are plagued with cloud... The fb group has had some results near Tampere... It could clear later. But I will sleep. Technology is great! I now know when I can not see them:) that I can see them. Use web cams. I will not promote other camera places. In southern.. Sort of southern finland hankasalmi observatory has had some great looking skies!

happy hunting.

Archived