G3 Storming Today

AbeH

Hi guys I know that its been awhile since my last post but im back again and saw there is a G3 storm in progress is it expected to worsen? Also yesterday my direct tv was out for about 15min could it have been related to this?

Magnetometers respond only a little. According to SWPC/NOAA we have G3 storm but it doesn't look spectacular. Bz reached -16...-18 for a while but it's rather weak storm. I think sometimes there's much more powerful storms with lower Kp (even G1).

If you have read our front page news then you would know that a coronal hole would bring us sparkling auroras up to G2. Short G3 storm is possible as long as southward directed IMF continues.

these effects are normal and don't harm any TV's and/or animals

Alright thanks for the info.

According to wing Kp we have G5 not but it isn't rather real value. SWPC value of G3 looks nearer the truth. I saw photos of aurora in northern Poland so it's quite strong storm. The aurora could be seen on higher middle latitudes.

Kp7 indeed seems right to me considering most magnetometers and from which locations aurora was spotted.

Why is Wing so inaccurate? On the NOAA SWPC website,  USAF magnetometer readings are listed at 9 for several locations. 

Good question. Wing-Kp is normally very reliable but this observed Kp9 of them is obviously incorrect.

Kp7 indeed seems right to me considering most magnetometers and from which locations aurora was spotted.

Good question. Wing-Kp is normally very reliable but this observed Kp9 of them is obviously incorrect.

Possibly just a malfunction? Maybe the storm shorted or damaged something in it. Just my guess.

What an interesting afternoon.  Clearly, the wing-kp goofed.  But I find it an interesting case-study in how quick people are to recognize and respond to a potential problem.  For a moment (however brief it might have been), there was data that suggested we were in store for a potentially disruptive event.  Which raises a few interesting questions..

1) What would have been the consequences for us earth dwellers had it been true? From what I understand, it would have had the potential to significantly impact radio communications, electrical grids, pipelines...http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation... nothing to ignore.

2) There were at least 14 minutes between the first alert and when the G5 rating was debunked.  In that 14 minutes, there was no news alerts, etc.  If there was a true G5 event, how long would it take before it was reported in any news outlets?  How long until 5% or 10% of people are aware that trouble is brewing?  1, 2 3 or 4 hours?  

Fascinating...

What an interesting afternoon.  Clearly, the wing-kp goofed.  But I find it an interesting case-study in how quick people are to recognize and respond to a potential problem.  For a moment (however brief it might have been), there was data that suggested we were in store for a potentially disruptive event.  Which raises a few interesting questions..

1) What would have been the consequences for us earth dwellers had it been true? From what I understand, it would have had the potential to significantly impact radio communications, electrical grids, pipelines...http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation... nothing to ignore.

2) There were at least 14 minutes between the first alert and when the G5 rating was debunked.  In that 14 minutes, there was no news alerts, etc.  If there was a true G5 event, how long would it take before it was reported in any news outlets?  How long until 5% or 10% of people are aware that trouble is brewing?  1, 2 3 or 4 hours?  

Fascinating...

Really nice post seems like you and me share in some of the same thoughts and interests I would really like to talk to you more feel free to start a chat on the website or on facebook if you dont mind,

Fascinating...

Just so you know, a G5 event does not mean a risk of any kind for the power grids. It could mean that, of course, were it caused by a serious CME, but I highly doubt the coronal hole could produce a real G5, let alone a significant one.

Archived