What to do with Geomagnetic Storm?

oemSpace

Geomagnetic storm / geomagnetic disturbances is coming soon, if I feel uncomfortable, what should I do?

Should I stop any outdoor activity? and stay at home ...

Take a bath during the peak period?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare for geomagnetic disturbances?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/latest/geomag_forecast.txt

The levels of geomagnetic disturbances reach 7, would it make people more easy getting emotional stress under this levels?

Would it be better to backup my computer first before this periods?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any suggestions :>

The levels of geomagnetic disturbances reach 7, would it make people more easy getting emotional stress under this levels?

Would it be better to backup my computer first before this periods?

There are studies that suggest people are influenced by geomagnetic storms but there are also studies that contradict those claims. I personally do not believe at all that humans could feel anything from geomagnetic storms, it's likely all in their heads and stress about things that are not important to their health at all. Animals that use Earth's magnetic field to navigate might sense something, but I don't know anything about that.

No need to backup your computer. Everything will work like usual.

Guest pfarkas

"Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare for geomagnetic disturbances?"

Yes, immediately catch a flight to somewhere as far north as possible to see the show!!!

Yes, immediately catch a flight to somewhere as far north as possible to see the show!!!

Think about it, when solar winds carry electrons and protons with energies usually between 1.5 and 10 keV toward Earth, even through Interplanetary Magnetic Field (IMF) Polarity at Earth is North, there is no guarantee for safety, if you go and see the show, it seems to get yourself killed. Does it make sense?

Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions :>

Guest lb_n+1

People have been living in the northern auroral zone for thousands of years, probably including periods when Earth's magnetic field was very weak during reversals .

Cosmic rays are continuously bombarding the Earth's atmosphere with energies far far greater than 10 keV (1GeV would be a fairly modest energy for a cosmic ray). This has been going on every day of your life.

There is very little danger directly to human life from space weather. There may well be impacts on technology but the most extreme predictions for the strength of the coming storm put it as too weak to have any serious consequences.

Space weather is cool/interesting and the aurorae are spectacularly beautiful, this storm is not a threat. 

Well said, also remember that astronauts experience these radiation storms as well ...They don't glow like a light bulb when they are back on Earth .

Could you please tell me more on what make them glow like a light bulb? what kind of light is it when they are back on Earth?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>

Could you please tell me more on what make them glow like a light bulb? what kind of light is it when they are back on Earth?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

They don't glow, or wont ever glow, it's just a way of saying. Don't take it literally. What I mean is, astronauts that are not protected by Earth's atmosphere don't suffer health issues from radiation storms so why would the average person worry about them. Of course astronauts take precautions especially during stronger radiation storms but I can guarantee you that it is nothing dangerous for the average person on Earth.

My nose is blocked and cannot sleep, thinking about whether geomagnetic disturbances cause it or not ...

Cosmic Ray Activity is predominant in plaque disruption, cellular damage and electrical instability; the GMA (Geomagnetic Activity) in the activation of coagulation and inflammation.

Three basic components of atherothrombosis-blood coagulation, inflammation, atheroma disruption are connected with environmental physical activity–CRA (cosmic ray activity) is predominant in plaque disruption, cellular damage, electrical instability, GMA -( geomagnetic activity) in the activation of coagulation and inflammation.

http://neuroresearchproject.com/2013/03/18/the-sun-giveth-the-sun-taketh-away/

Does it seem arrived at Earth since Jan 9 starting at 06-09UT?

Thank you very much for any suggestions 😆

NOAA Kp index forecast 09 Jan - 11 Jan
           Jan 09    Jan 10    Jan 11
00-03UT        3         7         4
03-06UT        2         6         3
06-09UT        7                3
09-12UT        7         4         3
12-15UT        6         4         3
15-18UT        5         3         3
18-21UT        6         3         3
21-00UT        6         3         3

Referring to EPAM, how can you tell whether the CME has arrived at Earth or not? the reading is increasing at higher levels, what levels of reading you would consider that CME has arrived at Earth?

Op 9/1/2014 om 21:38, oem7110 zei:

Referring to EPAM, how can you tell whether the CME has arrived at Earth or not? the reading is increasing at higher levels, what levels of reading you would consider that CME has arrived at Earth?

Thank you very much for any suggestions 😆

More info: https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help/how-do-we-know-if-a-cme-is-earth-directed-and-when-its-going-to-arrive

You look at the magnetometers for a sudden impulse. That is when the CME arrived.

Referring to magnetometers, the reading seems moving up and down in a regular patterns, it is very difficult to tell what a sudden impluse looks like, do you have any reference images to show any sudden impulse for CME's arrival?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions 😆

1) Would the sudden impulsive require to cross over 100 (nT) with sharp increase near the end of both the blue and red line?

so if it is below 100 (nT), it does not count as a sudden implulsive, would it be correct?

Or

2) Would the sudden impulsive require to a sharp increase near the end of both the blue and red line at the peak of wave?

so if it occurs at the trough of wave, it does not count as a sudden implulsive, would it be correct?

Furthermore, it shows a regular pattern within 24 hours, would it measure on Boulder, CD USA, on Earth's surface? so we can confirm that CME reachs the Earth.

1, 2, 3 and 4 in the image are the geomagnetic disturbances , with stronger storming it will deflect more. Simple as that. It's the same principle for all magnetometers. All magnetometers can record a sudden impulse so if you look at the boulder magnetometer it will show a sudden impulse yesterday, same with Kiruna magnetometer and all the others. After the sudden impulse, and if a geomagnetic storm develops, the magnetometers will respond to that and start to drop/rise or give readings that deviate from a quiet day with no storming.

Weaker CME's will have a less strong sudden impulse, so the nT varies.

Archived