AR2887 X flare and CME

Drax Spacex

6 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Yeah this could cause a significant geomagnetic storm. Cant wait for LASCO!

What do you mean by Significant? No need for worrying, or? 
Btw : Lasco is starting to show the CME :) !

The Facebook post is scaring me alot..

"this looks to be a fast, dense coronal mass ejection that will hit us head on. We could expect a very significant geomagnetic storm this weekend"

:( at first i was happy but now i am very scared

Significant as in the strongest storm of the current cycle. As in perhaps Kp7, or who knows maybe Kp8? Just speculating now but that's what my feeling is right now. We still need to wait for more LASCO pictures! Even a Kp8 is nothing to worry about! Just some nice aurora for many people around the world!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Significant as in the strongest storm of the current cycle. As in perhaps Kp7, or who knows maybe Kp8? Just speculating now but that's what my feeling is right now. We still need to wait for more LASCO pictures! Even a Kp8 is nothing to worry about! Just some nice aurora for many people around the world!

Didn't we already have one Kp7 storm?  I was surprised at the rating because it didn't seem like even Kp6 level activity, not even as strong as that nice Kp6 storm a week ago (which I missed because of clouds 😢). I don't remember when it was we hit Kp7, but sometime last winter

Regardless, I hope we get a good storm from this and clear conditions, since I missed the storm last week which was the first since I started monitoring the activity, maybe I'll even be able to see my first Aurora!
Another Halloween Storm maybe 😂

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Did u ever witness a Kp8? This is my first ever solar Cycle that i'm Observing in depth. Sometimes my anxiety due to YEARS of YT Fearmongering gets to me.

So there will not be a power outage? 🥺

Just now, MinYoongi said:

Did u ever witness a Kp8? This is my first ever solar Cycle that i'm Observing in depth. Sometimes my anxiety due to YEARS of YT Fearmongering gets to me.

So there will not be a power outage? 🥺

It's my first time observing too, started last Dec!  I hope it's KP7 at least 😁.
A power outage would be something you'd only see with KP8 at least, and that would only be northern places like Canada.  Besides, our power grids have been much improved since the Quebec Storm.

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

It's my first time observing too, started last Dec!  I hope it's KP7 at least 😁.
A power outage would be something you'd only see with KP8 at least, and that would only be northern places like Canada.  Besides, our power grids have been much improved since the Quebec Storm.

But its predicted to be Kp8 and I'm in Germany :(

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

But its predicted to be Kp8 and I'm in Germany :(

If I were you, I'd google Geomagnetic Storms power outages in Germany and tell what kind of storms it took to cause outages in the past, if there even were any, so you have a benchmark to compare current activity to.
If you find any I'd be interested to hear it, I don't know much about effects over in Europe.

Hold your horses. There are plenty of strong storming (kp 8+ ) in the history without any armageddon scenarios. Yes, we treat and observe the flares and CMEs with respect, but there is no need to panic or develop anxiety. Or both. Thats only a symtom of the mind, not the CME or the Sun. 

keep it simple to what we know. Earth has been hit many times, some times with small, and sometimes bigger disruption to the powergrid. Never global. 

enjoy the show. And, prep if you are a prepper.

//Calle 

www.Facebook.com/Norrskensverige 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CalleB said:

Hold your horses. There are plenty of strong storming (kp 8+ ) in the history without any armageddon scenarios. Yes, we treat and observe the flares and CMEs with respect, but there is no need to panic or develop anxiety. Or both. Thats only a symtom of the mind, not the CME or the Sun. 

keep it simple to what we know. Earth has been hit many times, some times with small, and sometimes bigger disruption to the powergrid. Never global. 

enjoy the show. And, prep if you are a prepper.

//Calle 

www.Facebook.com/Norrskensverige 

Exactly.  It's only an X1, after all.  We've had many far stronger events and didn't feel a thing.
Do research on what kind of affects Geomagnetic Storms have in your region of the world, you should feel better afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

On this exact day in 2003 we had an X17 center disk that caused a severe geomagnetic storm a few days later and we survived. Today was only X1 and also Center disk so no need for alarms except for an Aurora alarm 🚨 😍

was that the famous Halloween Storm?  I hope we have another one!

4 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

On this exact day in 2003 we had an X17 center disk that caused a severe geomagnetic storm a few days later and we survived. Today was only X1 and also Center disk so no need for alarms except for an Aurora alarm 🚨 😍

Yeah and we have aurora on Athens :D And few days later we have X28+ on west limb

1 minute ago, Tomasz Mielec said:

Maybe You will see on saturday who knows :D

Highly unlikely.

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yes it was and what a coincidence it is ☺️ So it has to be a good show again for Halloween 🎃😍 really looking forward to its arrival 😍

Based on online photo gallery at spaceweather.com I could have seen the Kp6 storm a week or so ago from my area if it hadn't been raining across the whole region.
This looks like a second chance, and maybe even a better one!