Space weather satellites

On 1/8/2021 at 2:20 PM, Marcel de Bont said:

A mission at the Sun-Earth lagrange point 5 would be the best gift we could get. Always a side view of CMEs and a partial view of the Sun's far side! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_point#L4_and_L5

L5 Satellite sounds a lot more achievable  :)  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:20 AM, Marcel de Bont said:

A mission at the Sun-Earth lagrange point 5 would be the best gift we could get. Always a side view of CMEs and a partial view of the Sun's far side! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_point#L4_and_L5

I`ve heard about the mission of Parker Solar Probe by NASA which must take samples from the outre crona of the Sun. Iam really amazed of that space craft. Simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:27 PM, Marcel de Bont said:

There are many satellites that collect data used in space weather forecasting. Most of the data coming from them can be found on this website. Think of SDO, DSCOVRSOHO, ACE, the STEREO mission etc.

This think is a bit out of that topic, but I find it really interesting. I`ve read an article about microsatellites and that in some time they can substitute ordinary sats.
Some of them are only 45 kg but still, the are capable to accomplish missions ordinary sats do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bearnard1609 said:

This think is a bit out of that topic, but I find it really interesting. I`ve read an article about microsatellites and that in some time they can substitute ordinary sats.
Some of them are only 45 kg but still, the are capable to accomplish missions ordinary sats do. 

My imagination spins out with swarms of them looking or mapping the Inter Planetary Transport System. Interplanetary Transport Network - Wikipedia (Or circling the Sun.) 

On 1/10/2021 at 7:30 PM, Archmonoth said:

L5 Satellite sounds a lot more achievable  :)  

Can microsats play this role? ( at least in the future ) A lot of people claim that it is a future of satellites` launches.
I`have found a website of the company that manufactures such kind of sats and their characteristics look pretty promising.
https://dragonflyaerospace.com/

Edited by bearnard1609

On 1/13/2021 at 3:48 AM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The tiny sats are only used for low orbits and don’t have a long lifespan. A satellite for space weather needs to be very robust

I was thinking more of a swarm like this: Satellite constellation - Wikipedia I agree it the sats would have to be robust. My imagination suggests that a little repair/maintenance would be more efficient, for enduring space weather.

I could also see a repair-bot created to accompany the swarm. Machine learning/AI might allow us to tackle problem solving/fixing/updating in real time rather than broadcast and relay to Earth. 

You can’t do a satellite constellation as the satellites have to be pointed always towards the Sun. okay you have multiple days you can switch to but not ideal plus interference with all other satellites already in orbit. 
repairing satellites is almost impossible, if we had the space shuttle back it would be possible. I don’t believe a satellite repair bot can solve any issue. For example you can’t just replace a component in a satellite or for its solar panels. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

You can’t do a satellite constellation as the satellites have to be pointed always towards the Sun. okay you have multiple days you can switch to but not ideal plus interference with all other satellites already in orbit. 
repairing satellites is almost impossible, if we had the space shuttle back it would be possible. I don’t believe a satellite repair bot can solve any issue. For example you can’t just replace a component in a satellite or for its solar panels. 

Perhaps its not possible now. Perhaps its not efficient. Like I said, just my imagination. Recently there has been more interest in using radiation sensitive fungus to shielding stations or ships from radiation:  Testing Chernobyl fungi as a radiation shield for astronauts (phys.org)

There is also an organism which functions in radiation, by repairing itself with copies of its DNA which it already fabricated. Like using books in a library as the structure for the library. Fabrication in space can be done via radiosynthesis or photosynthesis. Deinococcus radiodurans - Wikipedia  (copying any of these mechanisms would be helpful for satellites.)

This is all fantasy and imagination putting these kinds of things together. 

Edited by Archmonoth

21 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yeah, I agree, this project and this kind of satellites must be more developed and advanced for more reliable work and more difficult missions. I assume that in some time scientists will approach this purpose and invent such kind of sats. It`s just a question of time.

48 minutes ago, Nibby Nuts said:

Planned for launch in 2025 ESAs Lagrange Mission will probably be our next side view of the sun once the Stereo A mission ceases to be of value.

Parker Solar Probe impressed me really how it was manufactured to resist high temperature.The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure. So looking forward to the new mission to the Sun.