When did Solar Cycle 25 Start?

7 minutes ago, Patrick Geryl said:

We just got a rejection for our article The Adjusted Solar Flux & the Start of Solar Cycle 25. Reason: date was right but not novel enough... 

From my point of view, the paper and new idea presented with it are sufficiently novel. If there was a bit more of an explanation for their interpretation to the contrary, revisions could possibly be made, but not in the case that this work between you and Alvestad relies on the inherent nature of the subject having been studied by several other scientists and their published work is a significant part of the foundation of this new paper. That is how I interpret the basis of the rejection, that it is apparently un-original in a sense.

11 minutes ago, Patrick Geryl said:

Any suggestions what to do now?

Perhaps none that are practical or have a particular agency towards your goals; Re-submit for review somewhere in the future, alter the paper to counter-act the apparent bias of the reviewers, wait until NOAA/SWPC say their piece on the date of the solar minimum, and/or gain the insight of a well-known director of a science/research facility to revise and re-publish(to the extent that you are willing to allow their contributions to be credited, however, is up to you). 

I'm very sorry to hear about this rejection, I found the article to be quite useful moving forward.

5 hours ago, Patrick Geryl said:

We just got a rejection for our article

I'm sorry to hear that, but it is very common. There's plenty of journals so keep trying. It might help if you provide the editor with a list of suggested referees that you think might be easier to convince (don't tell him that, just that they would make good referees due to their expertise). Jan might be able to help you with that, as the list can include some of his friends. The editor is under no obligation to follow your suggestions, but finding referees is a chore to them so quite often they just do that. You would be surprised how many scientists do it. The system is rigged, but everybody pretends it is not.

• 2 weeks later...

It is as good as official: Solar cycle 25 started in December 2019

http://sidc.oma.be/silso/node/166

The dominance switched to groups of the new cycle in November 2019 => This is our 365 days smoothed average

This transition in terms of number of active regions falls in October 2019 = > This is our primary article

More can be found on the website of Jan Alvestad: http://solarresearch.info/

• Thanks 1