big sunspot headed this way

Bthehutt92

12767? It's a small unipolar sunspot (currently 120MH), and based on what I've read from this website and other websites... I have no idea if this is a SC24 or SC25 sun spot. I've read that the bright color indicates positive polarity, but this website says the dark color is positive polarity. I don't know anymore! Going by SWL's information it's SC25.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/news/view/402/20200208-coronal-hole-transit-to-solar-cycle-25

There does appear to be something at high latitude in the northern hemisphere rotating into view, though. No clear magnetogram images yet to determine polarities.20200727_010530_n7euA_195.jpg

Here's what is looks like from our POV in the SDO/AIA 171 channel, close up: TYQKCbc.jpg

Edited by Christopher S.
Typos

I assume you mean the sunspot region that is visible on STEREO Ahead and not the one facing Earth as the one facing Earth is small and insignificant. We have to wait maybe two more days until this far side region rotates into view but it does look fairly big considering we are just crawling out of solar minimum. It does seem quiet at the moment with no eruptions from it worth noting. Remember that it might just be a pile of faculae with very little sunspots but if it does have sunspots it could be an interesting region to monitor in the days ahead. Based on its location it is very likely a SC25 sunspot region.

38 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I assume you mean the sunspot region that is visible on STEREO Ahead and not the one facing Earth as the one facing Earth is small and insignificant. We have to wait maybe two more days until this far side region rotates into view but it does look fairly big considering we are just crawling out of solar minimum. It does seem quiet at the moment with no eruptions from it worth noting. Remember that it might just be a pile of faculae with very little sunspots but if it does have sunspots it could be an interesting region to monitor in the days ahead. Based on its location it is very likely a SC25 sunspot region.

How much does the background X-ray flux go up with a region full of Faculae? I'd imagine it goes up, but this seems to have a large magnetic canopy and is bringing the flux up a bit more than I'd imagine a faculae region would.

I see the x-ray flux is gradually rising, assuming a smoothed line on the graph(from here) but very, very slightly. Inconsequentially, in fact. Not even reaching B1.0.

In any case, this provides a decent opportunity for scholars with unorthodox or otherwise highly specific philosophies to actually get to work! This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for. There are so many instruments at one's disposal these days, and I imagine we will see many people chime in once SC25 activity becomes regular.

In other words, donate to keep this website alive! It's so much more chill/welcoming than other space related communities online.

6 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I am referring to the stereo ahead sunspot. I will definitely stay tuned in to this one. Its been too quiet 

13 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Will you publish an article about it in the next day or so?

I dont know what to expect from this.

I looked at SDO and saw + - + polarity, idk really what that means. Mmmh, lets wait.

12 uren geleden, KimSeokjin zei:

Will you publish an article about it in the next day or so?

Only if it has a considerable amount of sunspots and could produce high C class or M class activity. 

Of that what we can see right now of this region, it doesn't fit those criteria. It must have been larger on the far side. There is a lot of faculae visible and just one sunspot has rotated into view right now. Even C class flares are unlikely from this region.

newregion.PNG

19 uren geleden, Bthehutt92 zei:

I am referring to the stereo ahead sunspot. I will definitely stay tuned in to this one. Its been too quiet 

It has been quiet indeed but remember we are still only just crawling out of solar minimum. We will see more and more sunspots popping up as times passes but I still think we have to wait until 2021 until we see larger and longer lasting sunspot regions.

23 uren geleden, Christopher S. zei:

In any case, this provides a decent opportunity for scholars with unorthodox or otherwise highly specific philosophies to actually get to work! This is the kind of thing I've been waiting for. There are so many instruments at one's disposal these days, and I imagine we will see many people chime in once SC25 activity becomes regular.

In other words, donate to keep this website alive! It's so much more chill/welcoming than other space related communities online.

Thanks a lot for your comment! It is much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1