Bad anxiety about the sun

Mckinnon

Hello and welcome. There is absolutely no chance that any of the things mentioned will happen. Our star is estimated to live another 5 billion years and solar flares do not burn the surface of our Earth. While solar flares are impressive solar explosions in their own right, they are nothing compared with the energy that reaches the surface of our Earth in the form of sunlight every single second.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks alot guys... i try to educate myself but its always the what if that gets me i know that it cant happen and it wont happen in my life time ... think of it this way your on a ship and everyone says the ship cant sink? But what if it does? Theres no life boat? Theres not way to escape if it happens (sorry for getting so deep) Thats the best way i cant explain it...anyways thanks again youve helped me today trust me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Science aims to answer questions and discover new things that cannot be currently answered. We can answer the questions you have as we have modern science that shows us how things work - buoyancy and seaworthiness prevent the boat from sinking. Modern regulations in most countries are in place to prevent boats that are not seaworthy from seafaring.

Solar observations, of not only our Sun, but the hundreds of thousands of stars we've observed since the beginnings of astrology in ancient times, give us the age of many stars, and give great confidence in the estimation of our own Sun's lifespan from right now, that it will live on well past the expected lifespan of our own species.

If you are skeptical of what people are telling you - become a scientist and mathematician. Learning the formulae for how these things actually work in real, provable equations will definitely show you in objective terms that the boat will not sink, the star will not explode in our lifetime(or ever, as our Sun will bloat up right before its death, and then shrink to a small White Dwarf ≈5 billion years from now).

I understand where your anxiety comes from - the fear of the unknown, the fear of catastrophic failure or circumstances. The most effective way to combat this, apart from aligning your train of thought toward positive things, is to learn how things work before questioning the validity of the science which ensures safety.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

If that's any help, the difference is that ships can potentially sink.

I'd agree with the other people, finding out where your anxiety really comes from can be very beneficial. Usually what we are anxious about on the surface (in this case, the sun) is totally different than what we are really anxious about.

• Like 1

I, too, have this anxiety sometimes. I think its because I began "observing" solar activity late and I am still learning new things. I trust the "experts" to make sense of things and that I can learn from them. As some have mentioned, sometimes the anxiety and fear comes from lack of knowledge. I am ready to learn as we watch this solar cycle begin.

I encourage people to give money to SWL as we approach the next solar cycle. Traffic will grow in the coming future, and I just think it's generous to give so the next individuals interested in space weather can benefit from this ressource, as we did. After all, from what I read, I'm not the only one who's anxiety benefited from SWL :) 

I just gave 10 euros. It isn't much, but it's all I can afford for now.

• Thanks 2

Uh don't trust anyone here, trust your own research,,,, and there are super nova people who believe the sun super novas periodically or BURBS.

BURB stands for Big Un Reset Blast

Edited by Greg
New scientific nomenclature
  • Dislike 2