The M1.1 Flare has me very excited

Christopher S.

I began following Space Weather via this website more than two years ago, around the time that I had also began monitoring seismic activity. Now, I don't do very in-depth analyses of either of these, at least not to the degree that I monitor meteorological activity, but all that said, I picked a very uninteresting time to get into Space Weather. Solar Cycle 24 was coming to a close(rather slowly) and seismic activity too was not looking terribly abnormal. For the last two years, I've awaited a sign that we would have something to really talk about, and with the recent flare, that time has come!

This will be a very busy next few months for myself and other meteorologists, as North America officially declares the start of the 2020 Hurricane season - we've already seen two named storms in the North Atlantic basin and one storm in the Eastern North Pacific that nearly made it to tropical storm status. As record temperatures(both hot and cold) are being seen throughout the world, and as the new SC 25 begins to manifest, I am very excited to apply new knowledge of the interactions between Space Weather and Earth's atmosphere at a measurable and correlative level.

While I doubt any breakthroughs will be made this year, and with a suspension of activity from the GOES missions(in part due to the pandemic) further hindering scientific cross-study, the most I can do for the SWL community is stamp out any broad-sweeping declarations that are misinformed and non-scientific in nature. I will continue to rely on the information SWL provides(free of charge, mind you all) to observe and learn whatever I can. Thank you all for keeping this website active, updated, and unbiased! 

• Thanks 2

I got into space weather since 2001 and that was in the highs of solar cycle 23. Joining space weather in the solar minimum is indeed rather boring period so this M1 makes things interesting again. Unfortunately the region is now a spotless plage and doesn't pose a threat anymore but it's a good way to ramp up towards solar cycle 25. Looking forward for some real active regions with a more complex magnetic structure to get it really interesting again ☺️ of course we'll be here to keep everyone updated with interesting space weather events and along the way you'll learn to get more in depth of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Could the M1 flare of 29.5. not have been an indication of increasing solar activity?

It is consensus that the solar activity will increase during SC 25. The only question is when.

Could the increase in solar activity perhaps occur in a shorter time than generally predicted? After all, the solar radiation remained in the B range for several days.

Please bear with the poor English of a pensioner.