Keep track of the number of spotless days

Hi Spaceweatherlive :) 

Tried to email you, but you dont like hotmails, so...

I noticed that your register over spotless days has been stuck on 112 days for about a week or so, even when the sun is as spotless as it gets!!

Just want to let you now if you didnt already.

Keep up the good work :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:
11 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yeah it was the whole module bar that had the same issue 😋 good thing you noticed it because we overlooked it (shame on me). It's now updated frequently and shouldn't happen again 🙂

Sweet :) 

I have one suggestion:

In the last 365 days we actually have 317 days of spotless sun. Could it be an idea to have one Counter for the last 365 days. Then one would sooner see when a minimum is nearing the end?

• Like 1

Op 29/5/2020 om 07:26, The Norwegian zei:

I have one suggestion:

In the last 365 days we actually have 317 days of spotless sun. Could it be an idea to have one Counter for the last 365 days. Then one would sooner see when a minimum is nearing the end?

Thinking of your suggestion, we decided to actually add it and don't wait for another 10 years 😉. But instead of remembering each day what the number of the past day was we decided to give it a little 'trend' icon indicating if the number of spotless days is shrinking or not.The trend icon is updated daily based on the data of one year but the month before (not really a point to compare it with previous day wouldn't it).  The number of days in this year has now a percentage so it's easier to know if that number is a lot or not.

Schermafbeelding 2020-06-01 om 15.56.25.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Thinking of your suggestion, we decided to actually add it and don't wait for another 10 years 😉. But instead of remembering each day what the number of the past day was we decided to give it a little 'trend' icon indicating if the number of spotless days is shrinking or not.The trend icon is updated daily based on the data of one year but the month before (not really a point to compare it with previous day wouldn't it).  The number of days in this year has now a percentage so it's easier to know if that number is a lot or not.

Sweet, that looks just awesome :) 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I believe there is an small error, it seems like the "2020 spotless days" is not counting days. Today, after 2 spotless days, it still on 124 days for 2020.  

23 minutes ago, The Norwegian said:

I believe there is an small error, it seems like the "2020 spotless days" is not counting days. Today, after 2 spotless days, it still on 124 days for 2020.  

I think there are technically two sunspots, according to SWPC. You can see them here: http://www.solen.info/solar/

It could be that is why the bottom two numbers are the same, although the "Last 365 days" figure would then be incorrect.

Edit: The table has updated, and appears completely fine. Check main page.

Edited by Christopher S.

13 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

yesterday was spotless, the day before not (AR12764 on June 1st), so it was a plus one: 125 days in 2020 en last 365 days 125 days.

PS: yes the table updates daily 😉 somewhere after 0h UTC

Sorry, my tired eyes read 124 days this morning :) Now I see it says 125.. My mistake

• Haha 1

Has anyone ever tried to find a correlation between sunspots numbers and cloud coverage?
Is there a place where the relevant data over extended periods of time would be available?
On a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. It would be fascinating to find such a correlation!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Norwegian,

I've been playing with sunspot files from SILSO. These images show the effect of recording number of spotless days in the last 365, 180, or 90 days.

Day 1 on the charts is 1st January 2017 in all cases. Last day is 30th April 2020

The 180 and 90 day charts suggest to me that we probably passed minimum around mid December 2019

https://www.dropbox.com/s/usbw60nk7s7m40z/Spotless days_Cycle24to25.png?dl=0

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Hi Norwegian,

I've been playing with sunspot files from SILSO. These images show the effect of recording number of spotless days in the last 365, 180, or 90 days.

Day 1 on the charts is 1st January 2017 in all cases. Last day is 30th April 2020

The 180 and 90 day charts suggest to me that we probably passed minimum around mid December 2019

https://www.dropbox.com/s/usbw60nk7s7m40z/Spotless days_Cycle24to25.png?dl=0

Hi 3gMike.

Yes, it can sure look like that now, but I do not feeling sure that it will look like that a year from now.

From my research I see 2 potential times for sun minimum. October 2020, or August 2022. I see a very strong correlation between planet position and sunspots, and I also believe that this minimum will come in one of my 2 options above :)

On 6/8/2020 at 9:20 AM, Loustalet said:

Has anyone ever tried to find a correlation between sunspots numbers and cloud coverage?
Is there a place where the relevant data over extended periods of time would be available?
On a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis. It would be fascinating to find such a correlation!

Hi. You can check out the work of the Danish astrophysicist, Henrik Svensmark. He has found strong correlation between solar minimum and cloudcover.