Sunspot numbering of regions

Ron NL

@Ron NLI followed the trend of these proto-sunspots for a few days, I think the reason why they are not counted is because the real sunspots are not yet visible.
Perhaps they have already formed behind the Sun and are weakening or still developing.
Let's wait and see.

spacer.png

This pic taken from sdo-nasa just now 18-05-2020 @ 22:33 gmt 

is that REAL sunspots or not ?  ..yes they dont look like the other representation you usually see (dark spots) 

Actually i wish to know if there is Solar-Activity right now .. everywhere they say the nr of sunspots are supposed to be a representation of that 

i dont see any dark-spots ...and everywhere on the net  they say  0-sunspots right now, 

but i clearly do see solar-activity in above picture (HMBI)  ... my conclusion the sunspot as a measure of solar-activity SUCKS !

More here (last 48 hours in various wavelengths)  https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/dashboard/?d=HMIB;1600;1700;0193;0171;HMIBC

they all show solar-activity  for almost 2 days now  or do they not ? ...so where are the sunspots ?

Edited by Ron NL

To add to the cunfusion ... below article on space.com 

talks about "SUNSPOTS" ... and they use the same kind of picture in HMBI format (magnetic activity)  as i did above

https://www.space.com/sun-weather-overlapping-solar-cycle-active-regions.html 

So according to space.com ... you can see sunspots by looking at magnetic activity (spots/areas/intensities)

its just another representation of them ... or at least it represents a part of it

Question:    if even space.com shows a (HDMI format)  pic and calls it a sunspot (or a representation of it) 

then why is it that:   i look at realtime pics of the last 2 days which clearly also show large (HBMI) sunspots

that all counters on the web  (including on this website here)   say:   NR of Sunspots = 0   ..... ???  

Edited by Ron NL

23 uren geleden, Ron NL zei:

@spaceweatherlive.com 

Why does it say on your website  0 sunspots ...while i see them for already 2 days

at the nasa sdo dashboard and videos ?

Spotless plages are no sunspot regions. Sunspots get numbered by the SWPC during their solar observation hours, so there will always be moments when there are new regions that have emerged that get numbered during the day. Only visible regions will be numbered, spotless plages are never counted. On the magnetogram you’ll always see the magnetic layout of visible regions and spotless plages. 

• Like 1