Did the historic solar minimum cause the pandemic?

Aeon

1 hour ago, Jeremiah in AK said:

There's a simple answer to this ridiculous question.... NO. Wow this website really has attracted the trolls and morons. Can we get back to real science now?

It is easy to make derogatory comments.

Why not be scientific about it, and show some evidence that backs up your assertion.

Oh, of course, you cannot - because it is simply not possible to prove that something does not happen !

An example comes from a study on Ebola.

https://www.longdom.org/open-access/sunspot-activity-influenza-and-ebola-outbreak-connection-2332-2519-1000154.pdf

Qu studied the correlation between sunspots and flu
and concluded that not only the peaks in the sunspot cycle, but the lows
they are also important.
The onset of pandemics and epidemics coincide with the extremes of sunspots such as the maximum and the minimum.

9 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Why not be scientific about it, and show some evidence that backs up your assertion.

Oh, of course, you cannot - because it is simply not possible to prove that something does not happen !

And he shouldn't have to. The burden of proof relies on the ones who make a claim.

Doesn't excuse his poor behavior, though.

2 hours ago, Aeon said:

https://www.longdom.org/open-access/sunspot-activity-influenza-and-ebola-outbreak-connection-2332-2519-1000154.pdf

they are also important.
The onset of pandemics and epidemics coincide with the extremes of sunspots such as the maximum and the minimum.

How could comets introduce virions on Earth?

2 hours ago, Maxime Fiset said:

How could comets introduce virions on Earth?

I didn't mention the part of the panspermia as I don't share it as an opinion.
I find the reference on Ebola between solar maximums and minimums credible.
Corresponds to the Ebola outbreak in the Congo in 2008/2009.
Solar Minimum Period.
Corresponds to the 2014 Ebola outbreak, West Africa.
Maximum solar period.
It again corresponds to the Ebola epidemic of 2018/2019 in the Congo.
I speak of the major epidemics, not small outbreaks.

Sorry all, but seriously, all the claims are not scientific proof. Please read up on Correlation and Causation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation).

It's not because data corresponds, they are related. E.g many alarm clocks sound around sunrise, so sunrise causes alarm clocks to go of, or reverse it, the alarms clocks wake the sun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ward Louckx said:

Sorry all, but seriously, all the claims are not scientific proof. Please read up on Correlation and Causation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation).

It's not because data corresponds, they are related. E.g many alarm clocks sound around sunrise, so sunrise causes alarm clocks to go of, or reverse it, the alarms clocks wake the sun.

Agreed!

About this, enjoy this website https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

If I had to write everything that is simple correlation basis, it wouldn't make sense.
You don't understand what I mean.
If solar minima and maxima are needed, peaks of neutron radiation activity, based on what is written at the end of page 2, the ebola epidemics in the solar minimum and maximum phases are related to this: a more lethal virus mutation in the over the minimum and maximum solar years.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, Aeon said:

If I had to write everything that is simple correlation basis, it wouldn't make sense.
You don't understand what I mean.
If solar minima and maxima are needed, peaks of neutron radiation activity, based on what is written at the end of page 2, the ebola epidemics in the solar minimum and maximum phases are related to this: a more lethal virus mutation in the over the minimum and maximum solar years.

What?

I think this sounds like a good old case of correlation does not imply causation, you can link basically almost any cyclic phenomenon with another cyclic phenomenom and derive correlation. Like how would it be logical for viruses to make animal to human transition gaps due to an increase in cosmic rays? increased RNA or DNA mutation rates due to DNA or RNA damage? doesn't sound like a hugely contributing factor if you look into chinese wet markets and the actual viral transition path that the wet markets create.

If you want to help out to prevent new major pandemics, signing petitions to close wet markets is a good place to start

Edited by Kim Nyhammer Photo
  • Like 1

Science will change. 

All viruses are differents each others.

Causation by correlation is the foundament of knowledge increasing. Who does not see is just writing in name of no-progress because you do not know what is Science. Or maybe you have to wright what you write.

I know DNA enough to say that a correlation is really possible. We are connected to the Sun and DNA of Coronavirus is really similar to Human DNA, I have its genetic code. Perhaps it is called Coronavirus because there is a reason that connects it to Solar Corona. Who is against a correlation is still closing his eyes about this. He is ignorant.

Trump is right, a big light stops Coronavirus spreading. But humanity is litterally in the dark. Me not.

Is known that UV light deactivate some viruses...it is used in labs as germicide. It is known that solar sunspots are UV light makers.

A big light is requested to humanity do increase capacity of view, and it will be :)

Edited by Michele
mistakes

The Nasa has the picture of the solar minimal «turning point» it show a big symmetric flare. It's recent.

It's a rather natural évidence that uvs kill germs.

This solar cycle is a minimum of the minimums, so it's rather normal we are experiencing a rather large increase in all kind of germs.

This rare minimum must be a time where the worst of them have increase chances to proliferate, to escape the shadows of caves or jungles....  We are in for 2-3 slow weak-UV years then another minimum maximum germs at the next solar cycle and we should be o.k. as the las time. All goes in circle. Even the «shading of Betelgeuse» could have some effect at the quantum level here on Earth...

Right now we have 3 (bad) effects caused by (current) longest/deepest minimal Solar-Activity !

(1) Less UV-radiation so less virus is killed (UVC)

(2) Less vitamine-D produced ..so our immunity is lower (UVA)

(3) More radiation from deep-space reaches Earth (X-Rays,Gamma)

Since these are all caused by the same solar-activity, 
they will occur together and follow the solar-cycle curve                                                              
so you can add them all together to understand that the solar-cycle does indeed have a strong effect on what happens on Earth.                            
This might be the cause of the virus-crisis .. or at least : it helped spreading and increase nr's of death's. 

Discuss and read about this at Facebook-group:   "Solar-Activity vs Virus-Outbreak (Scientific)"

Edited by Ron NL

A lot of what has been discussed in this thread makes sense to me. My issue is that these first two graphs (shared earlier in the thread) seem to contradict what I came across back in mid March when I was looking into a connection between ozone levels and disruptions to the stratosphere by aircraft. Ozone levels were the highest in 2019 that they have been since 2002 and 1988. My thinking was that this shutdown would have a silver-lining; a completely healed ozone layer in 2021. A solution to global warming? But perhaps it isn't that straightforward? Perhaps less ozone can be beneficial during solar minimums, while more ozone is beneficial during solar maximums? But why doesn't 2002 fit the solar pattern? All that springs to mind for me is that the ozone recovery of 2002 followed a drop in flights due to 911, but was it really that significant?

spacer.png

400-header.jpg

Graph of ozone hole area (1980-2020): https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/meteorology/figures/ozone/to3area_0907-1013_toms+omi+omps.pd 

ozone_legend_full.png                                  

[Measured in September]

OZONE_D1988-09_G%5E348X348_PA:TIME.ITOMS               

1988                                                                                        

OZONE_D2002-09_G%5E348X348_PA:TIME.ITOMS

OZONE_D2019-09_G%5E348X348_PA:TIME.IOMPS 

(Reference page: https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/monthly/SH.html)

Edited by Wayde

@Kim Nyhammer Photo I see no logic in interfering in the commercial policies of other countries, simply because they are different from ours.
There is also no evidence to say that COVID 19 originated in Wuhan.

@VoltarDarkThe turning point on the minimum seems excessively premature.

I wonder how Betelgeuse can influence here on Earth.

It would make more sense to talk about Sirius since it is closer to just 8 light years compared to Betelgeuse.
But even so I find it difficult to believe in a possible connection.

7 hours ago, Aeon said:

I was referring to Antarctica, not the Arctic. When I first read about the recent Arctic hole that you are referring to, my thoughts were that it was a simple case of global 'ozone osmosis' that would quickly balance itself out -- and it did. I actually believe ozone levels measured over Antarctica are the best indicator for predicting global ozone layer trends because of the area's sensitivity to ozone layer change. I do agree that the effects of UV radiation shouldn't be discounted when exploring the causes and solutions of virus propagation. It deserves further attention.

Edited by Wayde

• 2 weeks later...

As a precaution, i will consider that the minimum won't help us in the fight vs Covid19.

I live in Quebec, Ca and we can feel the sun changing the climat following the seasons cause of the strong inclinaison of the rays.

Nature is used to react to solar strength variation. The link between UV and germs is not «Fake news».

Je vous souhaite un bonne santé !!!

Robert Dumont, Qc
@Voltardark on Twitter.

I am not very convinced of the effectiveness of UV rays in fighting epidemics.
I want to emphasize that contrary to expectations, during the peaks of the maximum solar activity, that is when the UV rays are at their maximum, in these periods many pandemics occurred.
This implies that it is not only the solar minimums to trigger these pandemic events when they happen.

I would reformulate it like : when the UVs are down that could help germs that are less affected by them.  If we could correlate pandemic with great solar minimum like the munder one ? Is the Spanish flu occur during a solar minimum ? I've check and it's yes but  i would appreciate if someone would double check me. I dont believe in astrology but i could accept that the others celestial bodies position in cosmos could avec some effects on life.  I think, it's not possible to think of something impossible. You can't think out of your domaine of value. If you can imagine it, then its is possible. It's why it very hard to imagine new things. It's like growing a leaf not connected to the tree, you can't.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:12 AM, 3gMike said:

What makes you think what makes you think no is the correct answer? Because I find that the beat rather narrow. And medical science proven a long time ago that radiation it's no good for cells and DNA. 

On 4/7/2020 at 6:02 AM, Rob Todaro said:

Im sorry dissagree. It's long known that cosmic radiation has an effect on pilots and astronauts. And what the magnetic field and the solar minimum with the magnetic field the Magneto sphere being in a weakened state. The solar wind being at low density and speeds. The solar wind and the sun's magnetic field deflect Cosmic radiation. But when the solar wind is in a low solar wind because of solar minimum them cosmic rays were not getting deflected. So cosmic rays enter our solar system and into our planet ionizing are upper atmosphere called the ionosphere. Mixing with hydrogen oxygen helium and I believe nitrogen giving the ionosphere an extra dose of ionization. Nucleation of clouds. The studies have been well-known since the 90s. And cosmic rays is at an all-time high at 18%

Biological Sciences. Cells DNA COSMIC RAYS EFFECT 

E-Rad

Spaceweather.com e-rad 

Then why are pilots listed as high radiation risk 

On 4/10/2020 at 10:28 AM, Aeon said:

they are also important.

Agreed,