New forum and topics about alternative science

Marcel de Bont

Hello all,

We have decided to remove the ''Question forum'' and open a new forum in the Space Weather category. It is called ''Other'' and you are visiting this forum right now. Most of the topics posted in the old Question forum resulted in discussions and due to the way this old Question forums worked, all the posts were scrambled as they were ordered by the numbers of up votes each post received. This made it very confusing to follow the discussions.

We welcome in this new ''Other'' forum any topic that fits within the general space weather theme but doesn't fit in the Solar Activity or Geomagnetic Activity forums. Questions can now be posted in any forum that fits your topic.

We also want to address something else and that's topics about alternative science. SpaceWeatherLive is a serious website with two core goals: We aim to educate the general public about main stream space weather science and bring the latest space weather news and data all on one easy to navigate website. We do not get involved in topics about what we like to call alternative space weather science as this is not a topic that we cover on our website. We mean with alternative science, topics about coronal holes causing earthquakes and that kind of stuff. However we do think that everyone is free to believe what they want and we do not want to kill such discussions as soon as they pop up. There is obviously a significant audience that wish to discuss such topics and as long as the discussions remain civil and constructive we see no reason to ban such topics. However we do invite you to keep such topics in this forum and this forum only. We hope you understand our reasoning.

One more thing... Yes... I couldn't think of a better name than ''Other'' for this forum so... if you got a better idea for a name feel free to reply.

With kind regards,
Marcel de Bont

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the decision to allow for "Other" ideas to have a place. I made my first comment on this site under the quake/solar blog. One of those first comments by me was that I would have never commented here otherwise out of respect for the real work which you do on this site. I did have something to say about quakes and potential influences from cyclical processes of the sun.

I also have been connecting the dots between a perceived correlation between solar cycles, hemispheric sunspot excess, and changes in the ENSO regions. For the first time I believe that I have finally found the connection between solar influences, and temperature shifts in the ENSO regions. I intend to prove my thoughts as correct this year by correctly forecasting shifts in the ENSO 3.4 region mainly, around 4 to 6 months before the temp shift occurs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello goldminor. Thanks for your comment. Of course we have our opinion on alternative space weather science but this forum is open for everyone and their ideas even if we don't always agree with them. That is what message boards are all about. Sparking discussions and coming up with new ideas or information. We live in a free world and this forum is open to everyone as long as everybody sticks to our house rules. As said, we have seen the past few months that many people who find the SpaceWeatherLive forums are in facts people who are interested and want to discuss alternative scientific topics and if people want to use this forum to discuss their ideas than that is no problem. We just want to emphasize that promoting alternative space weather science is not one of the goals of this website. But that doesn't mean we are going to forbid these topics. Everyone is welcome here as long as the atmosphere on these message boards remain civil and polite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and ideas. How we convey them must always be at least somewhat coherent, but most importantly, respectful of others.

I admit I am surprised, pleasantly of course, that this website has been allowed by the administrators to act as a community-driven source of forum and education for all things even remotely space-related. I would ask that, even if we may all see things differently at times, that the atmosphere of such discussions remains open, clean, and mature, so others feel invited in to give new, unique ideas, or simply to ask questions. Preserving the foundation of an open, educational platform on the internet where all questions are welcome(although, answers may be difficult to come by when unrelated to space weather) and all people regardless of nation are free to think and believe what they will is my own goal, which runs parallel to SWL's goal of providing live, free access to information for all who are curious.

If you haven't yet, donate a small amount to aid in the maintenance of this website and development of the mobile apps, to help show appreciation for the hard work that has brought together(albeit in small portions) the aurora watching community, the seismic monitoring community, and a community of people whom generally practice alternative approaches in their research. We are all benefiting, directly or indirectly, from those who access and use this website, and mainly from the generous people who created it and welcomed us in.

• Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 6:09 PM, goldminor said:

Thanks for the decision to allow for "Other" ideas to have a place. I made my first comment on this site under the quake/solar blog. One of those first comments by me was that I would have never commented here otherwise out of respect for the real work which you do on this site. I did have something to say about quakes and potential influences from cyclical processes of the sun.

I also have been connecting the dots between a perceived correlation between solar cycles, hemispheric sunspot excess, and changes in the ENSO regions. For the first time I believe that I have finally found the connection between solar influences, and temperature shifts in the ENSO regions. I intend to prove my thoughts as correct this year by correctly forecasting shifts in the ENSO 3.4 region mainly, around 4 to 6 months before the temp shift occurs.

Love the topic 

I like how some professor. 

I like how some professors are coming close to predicting earthquakes with geomagnetic storms

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2020 at 1:41 AM, Rob Todaro said:

Love the topic 

Hello, I went quiet there for awhile as life intruded on thoughts. Here is an update on my solar/ENSO concept. On Feb 1st I left a simple forecast in a comment on WUWT, (@ Javier …forecast for a negative ENSO starting around April/May of this year.). Two days ago Tropical Tidbits 3.4 graph hit the zero trend line after rapidly dropping for 7 days. ... nino34.png

So my forecast proved correct. It is show and tell time for my solar/ENSO theory. This year nature will prove my contention as either being the correct picture, or not. This was a good start for me by nailing this first move.

The 11.09 solar cycles must have something to do with weather on the planet.

when the sunspot activity is high life is good all cells get charged. When sunspot activity is at a low like it has been this decade,  life well not so good. As the sun drives our life. The magnetic field issues during long periods of time with low solar activity is something that's needs deeper and more serious study.