How to determine "earth facing" things?

MinYoongi

Hey Community!

Me again ;)

Since I see a CME Signature in the Lasco Coronagraphes today, i wanted to ask how to tell what is earth facing and what isnt. I dont know where earth really is compared to lasco. I know its basically "our" view, but which angle would be earth facing?

Ps: Has someone news and info about the recent cme puff? :)

xx

Hi MinYoongi,

LASCO is on SOHO, situated out at L1 (between earth and the sun, 1/100th the distance to the Sun).

Other coronagraph(s) are mounted on STEREO-Ahead which is situated to the east of the sun, providing a view of earth-directed CME's.

That's a beautiful 'slow CME' you observed today.

Edited by theartist

[WARNING: This next post is for the adults that have "ears to hear"; immature skeptzoids that refuse to think outside of their little sandbox may be triggered.]

We can triangulate the direction of the CME by looking at ejection videos from both the LASCO and STEREO-A views:

578120792_latest12-10-19.jpg.17e8efd3284ced1f61ebfd933e6f4886.jpg61582660_STEREO-A12-10-19.thumb.jpg.e1fa56b9e4bf0b61c6aad8116c29e51b.jpg

Hmmm...so we take a look out there, and what do we find:

1076717323_planetalignment.thumb.png.0126f6d3e0c815a53708799f06a7fdf3.png

Coincidence? Something to consider, at least.

10 uren geleden, theartist zei:

Hi MinYoongi,

LASCO is on SOHO, situated out at L1 (between earth and the sun, 1/100th the distance to the Sun).

Other coronagraph(s) are mounted on STEREO-Ahead which is situated to the east of the sun, providing a view of earth-directed CME's.

That's a beautiful 'slow CME' you observed today.

That is a good description. When looking at LASCO you will be looking mostly for full halo coronal mass ejection (CMEs that engulf the entire coronagraph). These are either moving directly towards us or away from us. Correlate with SDO and SOHO to see if the eruption was front or back sided. Partial halo coronal mass ejections (CMEs that do not cover the entire LASCO field of view) can still hit us as glancing blows but these are a little harder to accurately predict their path. But combining all the tools like SOHO and STEREO as well as SDO gets you very far. Do dig around in our help section for more info https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help/how-do-we-know-if-a-cme-is-earth-directed-and-when-its-going-to-arrive