Please teach me about this Stackplot

Hello. I am a currently, and technically uneducated 23-year-old teaching myself meteorology. My curiosity has not been satiated with current theories and understandings of physics. It is for that reason that I'm also looking at online resources for seismological events and extra-terrestrial influence or feedback. So far I have observed some things which absolutely keep me driven to continue my efforts to understand, but I've got to come clean: I don't know what I'm looking at 90% of the time and have to infer from logic. I know very well the issue with this: I have no guidance or reference besides the internet. However, through the internet I found this website many, many months ago, and decided that it compiled a broad enough range of real-time information that I, with no practical knowledge, could then infer some things about the world and physics in general. Whenever I would feel confident enough to answer a "puzzle" in nature, I would then look it up to understand how off-base my theories are. Very fortunately for me, a lot of scientists have put an unquestionable degree into answering the very questions which resound within me. I've expanded my knowledge to the extent that I feel confident facing the unknown, equipped only with an aptitude for inferring logic.

At some point, however, the technical or mathematical stops me dead in my tracks; It's fantastic that someone else understands the importance of some unique, quantifiable "force" enough to term it with a fancy letter, but for the poor sod that I am, this is jargon that cannot be understood without a formal education. That is where I am stuck, and is the primary reason I have relied on everyone else's findings for inference: I simply haven't been taught. In fact, I dropped out of high school, as I disagreed heavily with the curriculum and the path it was leading me towards(entry level jobs, no real scholarships, not enough time or resources to continue studying independently). I will not lie: I've been curious my whole life about the universe and have always wanted to become a physicist. I simply haven't agreed with the amount of effort that would be required of me to go down that road the "legitimate" way; I'm poor, my family is poor, I was raised with asinine and shallow values, in a socio-economic demographic that ranked the "worst in the country" at one point within this decade, and never once was I taught that working really hard was actually rewarding. In fact, I learned the opposite: The harder you work towards something, the more the stability of your life hinges on the outcome of that single endeavor. To me, this was a time sink, and a way to become distracted from who I really am and what I really wanna do. Call it crazy, but let's see you try becoming a scientist when you only see the world, and your place in it for that matter, in a thoroughly negative light, with no support for the things you wanna do, and no motivation to work for it because of a thing that happened or you were taught. Let me tell you, it's hard. Don't come here to remind me of that.

All that aside, I humbly request that someone with the patience look at this image, and attempt to explain some things briefly. I don't expect you to play Professor, but simply share your own interpretation in language which feels most natural to you. I have a few glaring questions though:

First: What defines a separate plot on the graphs, as highlighted by blue boxes? Are arbitrary numbers chosen based on the difference to another number? Second: What are the zeroed segments there for? Third: How would you interpret the events highlighted with purple boxes? Fourth: What is the explanation for sudden disappearance and reappearance of the plots? Last: What is meant by the abbreviations on the right side, highlighted in red? Are they separate stations?

Any help, guidance, or knowledge that can be shared here will be absolutely appreciated and remembered for life. I will not fault you for levying judgment, but please do so constructively. Thank you!

Need education.png

I guess you didn't read the help information that is above the stack plot on the site and you should have clicked on 'details' under the plot on the site too so you would know what the abbreviations on the right are... also read in our help section more about how to read a magnetometer like Kiruna (is similar as this) and what they are used for.

Every magnetometer does its measurements in nanoTesla, this stack plot contains the data of several magnetometer stations (abbreviated on the right). The station with the highest latitude is on top and the lowest latitude at the bottom. For each station you'll find on the left the reading in nanoTesla. The zeros are simply no data for that station. The gaps in the readings are just times where data was invalid and thus excluded from the set. As geomagnetic storms happen around the poles, the magnetometer will react quicker and heavier there, the more south we go, the less the magnetometer reacts to a disturbance. 

For example a viewer in Belgium, they could see the northern lights if the magnetometer of Sol starts to dive together with the above magnetometer stations. Here's an example of march 16th when photographic aurora was seen in Netherlands due to a substorm:

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-24 om 17.11.15.png

It's a good tool for tracking substorms and for middle latitude watchers to know when to go out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I guess you didn't read the help information that is above the stack plot on the site and you should have clicked on 'details' under the plot on the site too so you would know what the abbreviations on the right are... also read in our help section more about how to read a magnetometer like Kiruna (is similar as this) and what they are used for.

You know, as a matter of fact I did read all of that. I'm a bit hung up on your attitude about it, though. I don't like it when people think they're smarter than others, and therefore are allowed to act in a pretentious, arrogant way like this. You're not better than me bud, and you shouldn't start presuming that I'm incapable of trying to find more information on my own. This is just a shallow means to boost your ego, as far as I can see, and I should have never given an ass like yourself the chance.

Oh wow, Cazador, your post really hurts.  I had not seen this prior to my earlier posting.  I'm not trying to offend you, but a little honey can sometimes go a long way.  The guys running this site are professionals in a somewhat esoteric scientific field, and to 'get this science right' is going to require years of hard training and investigative work;  the successful ones just had to naturally compete in school, and learn how to learn.  Compound that with the time required to run a successful website.  I'm surprised how young you say you are, because some of your other posts were suggestive of one being much more mature with years of experience.  You're at a point in your youth where you may not fully realize or understand all of what I said.  

So you didn't get your answer from a guy that is very busy with a lot of other things on his mind to contend with.  He still tried to help.  You can keep trying to get answers you seek. But obviously, folks aren't going to want to help someone that just lashes out.  Peace.

56 minuten geleden, CazadorDeWulf zei:

You know, as a matter of fact I did read all of that. I'm a bit hung up on your attitude about it, though. I don't like it when people think they're smarter than others, and therefore are allowed to act in a pretentious, arrogant way like this. You're not better than me bud, and you shouldn't start presuming that I'm incapable of trying to find more information on my own. This is just a shallow means to boost your ego, as far as I can see, and I should have never given an ass like yourself the chance.

Sorry to hear you got offended by the way you were being addressed CazadorDeWulf. I understand why you feel the way you do but I am 100% sure it wasn't Sander's intention to sound pretentious or arrogant. We do our best to help everyone as good as we can as quickly as we can. Hope you can see trough the first part of his post that offended you and the rest of his post was of help for you. Thanks for your support and contributions!

• Like 1

It wasn't meant to be offensive. One of the questions was what the abbreviations where on the right side of the image, it was all explained on the magnetometer page and thus I thought you might have not seen the "details" button that reveals more information about those stations. That's why I mentioned that first. Second, I had a clear explanation below the first paragraph to give you more information on the things you asked about to digg in deeper then the information on the magnetometer page.

If I was offensive, I would have stayed with one paragraph, but I did my best to give you more detail.

• Like 1