theartist

Solar Cycle 25 has already "started".

Wow, look what else just showed up.  I'm not going to say this one belongs in 'old-cycle' 24. 😁

1776595952_ScreenShot2019-06-28at2_47_33PM.png.190839859234ac8dfc67bbc50897666e.png

Edited by theartist

Haven't checked but if this group has a reverse polarity compared to SC24 groups in the same hemisphere that combined with the fact is is at a high latitude it could very well be a group that belongs to SC25. It does not mean SC25 has started as SC24 and SC25 groups will continue to appear even if SC25 starts but its always nice to see signs of SC25. All I am hoping for is a short minimum that would increase the chances of SC25 being stronger than SC24.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:02 AM, Marcel de Bont said:

It does not mean SC25 has started as SC24 and SC25 groups will continue to appear even if SC25 starts but its always nice to see signs of SC25.

Thank you for chiming in, Marcel.  Yes, I agree, these spots in themselves do not mean we have already crossed the 'official' Solar Minimum (i.e., the "Start" to SC25).  I mainly am relying upon the 'Bremen Metric' to think that we are, but I'm seeing other tell-tale signs, that are not yet as conclusive.  Nonetheless, will the 'Bremen Metric' break down this cycle?  We will eventually find out.  If it does, that will take months to find out, and it would mean then we are in for a very long prolonged solar minimum period.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:02 AM, Marcel de Bont said:

All I am hoping for is a short minimum that would increase the chances of SC25 being stronger than SC24.

Scientifically, I'm ambivalent.  I just want to understand the science better, and see what the evidence is suggesting.  However, for now, I think you are going to get your wish.  If the 'Bremen Metric' does hold up, then maybe it could turn out to be a useful indicator in the future.

I'm not sure if you folks are yet aware, but another SC25 sunspot (tentative) emerged on the solar disk today! 😎

latest_1024_HMIIF-4.thumb.jpg.d2c1f69301efd56db320723cab2be050.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjLgdnqw53U

Op 6/7/2019 om 20:12, theartist zei:

A brand new SC25 sunspot emerged on the disk today! 

After many days of flat X-ray flux, we are getting some bumps today, and I think it is coming from that new SC25 sunspot area!

goes-xray-flux-6-hour-7.gif

Op 6/7/2019 om 20:12, theartist zei:

A brand new SC25 sunspot emerged on the disk today!

You can see it SPEWING PLASMA!

Edited by theartist