Ladeevee

Over the past 10 days to 2 weeks I've noticed significant disruptions to mobile phone reception eg gurgling, squealing, hissing of vocalisations. Again late last year around  the second or third week of December 2018, (I'm sorry I didn't take note of the actual dates) the same interruptions occurred, so I'm wondering if these atypical mobile phone issues can be related to some form of solar activity eg CMEs or geomagnetic disturbances which affect telephone satellite transmissions. Has anyone else noticed these, too?

I live on a mountain in SE Queensland. Dwellers on other mountain tops (not the same mountain as mine) have noticed similar communication interruptions.

Hi,

Mobile phones are not affected by the current space weather. They use frequencies of several hundreds or thousands MHz, these electromagnetic waves behave similar like light and are not disturbed by space weather.

Space weather has an influence on radio propagation of frequencies usually well below 30 MHz which rely on skywave-propagation. That's because of disturbances or enhancements in the ionospheric layers.

There are exceptional cases in which mobile communications could be disrupted, but that requires a very active sun, which we don't have at the moment. For example by strong radio bursts after a solar flare.

Archived