Grayda

What are the meanings of "Z", "P" and "M" in the SWPC K-Index minutely forecast?

Question

Looking at this JSON file, I see that the Kp estimate field is a float (e.g. 0.33), while the Kp field is a string with a number, suffixed by either a "M", "P" or "Z".

I came across the definition of those suffixes a while back, but can't seem to find them now. I seem to recall that they're something like a shorthand (e.g. instead of 0.333..., you'd type 0Z), but I could be wrong. Googling this info is  tricky because they're single letters and get lost amongst other letters on the page.

So, does anyone know what they are, or can point me towards a link or thread with the explanation?

3 answers to this question

Arenʼt they just roundings, where “M”inus is less than, “P”lus is greater than and  “Z”ero is equal:  E.g., “1.667,'2M'” means actual value is 1.666667 rounded up to 2 (so the actual value is less, or minus); “4.333,'4P'” is 4.333333 rounded down to 4 (actual value is greater, or plus); “3,'3Z'” is exactly 3.0?

~Kaimbridge~

24 minutes ago, Kaimbridge said:

Arenʼt they just roundings, where “M”inus is less than, “P”lus is greater than and  “Z”ero is equal:  E.g., “1.667,'2M'” means actual value is 1.666667 rounded up to 2 (so the actual value is less, or minus); “4.333,'4P'” is 4.333333 rounded down to 4 (actual value is greater, or plus); “3,'3Z'” is exactly 3.0?

~Kaimbridge~

I think you're right. Though as a programmer, my convention would be to use "GT", "LT" and "EQ" for "Greater Than", "Less Than" and "Equal To"..

Edited by Grayda

That is correct. The finalized for example Kp-index is expressed in thirds: 3- 3o and 3+. 3P in decimals would be 3.33333 or 3+. Hope that makes sense.