Is the sun abnormally bright at the moment?

theta
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

On 7/9/2018 at 2:28 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No, it has not. We are in solar minimum, that’s the period where the sun is less active and because of that the solar irradiance and brightness is a very little bit less then in solar maximum (about 0.1%). Our sun goes through a 11-year cycle and a new one is on his way, in about 6 years we’ll be probably back in solar maximum of the 25th cycle.

11.09-year cycle between max sunspot and min sunspot activity. Every 22 years the sun magnetic field reverses polarity. The sun is bright because of its solar irradiance. As far as I understand.

Dr. Tabitha Skov 

On 7/9/2018 at 5:15 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The orbit of the Earth has not changed, we are still at the same orbital position around the Sun. The night sky is still the same, all stars still at the same position...

So procession 72 year 1 degree  and obliquity the Milankovitch cycle doesn't count in.

Edited by Rob Todaro
Spelling error

On 4/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, Cercunnin Paul Vishnu said:

I wished to point out that many people at present are reporting a lot more activity in their nervous system.  Not in so many words naturally.  This is March 2020.  A lot of people are beginning to find that they are very very energised.  It is creating some emotional issues, but also some perceptual issues.  It does lead to an impression of increased perceptual sensitivity, so anything will appear more intense, or brighter.  Although it is hard to be completely clear what is causing it, on account of data not going back far enough,  neutrino interaction is suspected.

Occam's razor.

Maybe the coming of spring makes people more energized.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Cercunnin Paul Vishnu said:

I wished to point out that many people at present are reporting a lot more activity in their nervous system.  Not in so many words naturally.  This is March 2020.  A lot of people are beginning to find that they are very very energised.  It is creating some emotional issues, but also some perceptual issues.  It does lead to an impression of increased perceptual sensitivity, so anything will appear more intense, or brighter.  Although it is hard to be completely clear what is causing it, on account of data not going back far enough,  neutrino interaction is suspected.

Where is the data/info/evidence you've seen can you link it?

• 3 months later...

Ron, this would seem sincere and well-intentioned if 1. You weren't just name-calling ~ten days ago and claiming we all have too limited of an understanding of science(paraphrasing, here), and 2. This discussion was still on-going, which it isn't. Of course there's nothing wrong with posting a comment in a related thread, but when you combine these two things, it is difficult to gauge how exactly to interact with you. I'm sure this will trigger another meltdown, but I promise it's educational in spirit(jump to end for the short version):

For starters, everything you just said has already been debated, more or less. As Sander points out, the difference in TSI between minimum and maximum is roughly 0.1% - whether you consider TSI only useful for solar panels or not, it is a valid and established measurement of the output of photons from the Sun, and in using this measurement we can come to very similar conclusions; there is some additional climate forcing as a result of greater TSI, and we know that TSI is greater during the maximum... which we are nowhere close to. We're just coming out of minimum. The Sun is still technically less radiant right now than it will be for the next 6-ish years, not just in the optical wavelengths. Mind you, this is by an incredibly small factor - one-thousandth of a difference. UV rays are inconsequential to this; read on and I'll get to that.

3 hours ago, Ron NL said:

The solar-activity is increasing ...so the radiation is increasing.   

You can  see this from the daily SDO videos. all radiation wavelengths are intensifying 

If you are able to see such a small factor of change daily, just with your eyeballs, that contradicts this:

We humans dont notice long-time variations that much; 

1) Our concious brain does not care ...long time changes are difficult to notice

storing radiation-levels or brightness in our brains ...and then compare them later with the current brightness is difficult for us.

It's not just difficult, it's impossible to be able to tell the difference between today's TSI and tomorrow's TSI just by looking at SDO. That's not even how it's measured. You definitely wouldn't be able to do the same calculations as a climate prediction model in your head, unless you are actually, literally a robot, but that's assuming this discussion is about TSI.

The question of whether the Sun is brighter now vs. some other time, in this thread, assumes we're talking about visible light. The brightness varies with different phenomena on the Earth-facing part of the Sun, and there are more of those in solar maximum. So, indeed it is getting brighter, on average, by too small of a factor to notice... which is the basis of the question originally asked by the person at the start of this topic.

Additionally, UV rays do not produce any substantial amount heat relative to larger wavelengths of light. Most of the heating we feel is due to chemical reactions in direct sunlight, which is a different kind of heating being done than through visible light or infrared light absorption. I urge you to do any amount of fact-checking on this, or even consider formal education. You would not have to wonder what "could be" when it is already long understood what is.

2) We dont see all wavelenghts ...who says the heatup is caused by "'Visible Human Spectrum" 

It could for example be the UV part that causes the heat ... but we dont see that. 

For example, it is already known to us that UV rays do not contribute to heating in any meaningful capacity, relative to other wavelengths of light that reach Earth. Infrared light is a greater generator of heat than UV by a substantial factor. Even wikipedia could have told you that.

What determines the heat on Earth ...from solar-radiation is not if the Sun is close or far from us !...what matters is the amount of energy that is received per square meter !

This is another contradiction. When our elliptical orbit takes us even just a smidgen closer, that directly increases the amount of light we receive. If the sun is, for example, 3% larger(roughly the difference between the perihelion and the aphelion) in the sky, we are exposed to a greater amount of the energy it is putting off. It increases our surface area relative to the irradiance of the Sun. So, heating on Earth, and its apparent brightness in this case is due to both the difference in our distance to the sun, and the amount of energy that is received per m^2, because those two things are positively correlated. This page goes a lot more in-depth about this problem: https://www.e-education.psu.edu/astro801/content/l4_p4.html

When the sun is right above us (90 deg)  we will have maximal energy at surface of earth (joule/m2)

There is always a point on Earth where the Sun is at a 90º angle to the surface. It is impossible for higher latitudes to experience this, which is a major contributor to why they tend to be cooler year-round than lower latitudes. This particular Earth-Sun angle only persists at a given point to a margin of +/- 2º for a few minutes, but I think the point you're making is that the most heat is absorbed by the surface at this angle. This is not necessarily the warmest point of the day for a given location - heat is being absorbed at the highest rate by the surface at this point, and continues to do so until the sun sets. This is not enough heating to hit the limits of most objects' thermal capacity. The thermal radiation from a given heated object i.e. dirt, concrete etc. reaches its peak later, because it continues absorbing heat and becoming warmer throughout the day, and thus these two phenomena are not in-sync; The heat absorbed by the ground continues to warm the air above it, even when not at peak heat transfer from solar rays in the day, because the air does not absorb nearly as much photon energy as a solid surface. Air molecules are excited by contact with the hot surface and move away much warmer, thus, you see thermal radiation in action.

-

So that give you at least a jumping-off point for studying the fundamentals of a few things you talk about, but I'll remind you(again) that this isn't a thread/discussion about TSI, heating of the Earth... none of that belongs here. You've continuously attempted to hijack these discussions to go off-topic, and ironically enough, you've complained in the past about other people doing that to you(even when they hadn't) - I'll direct you to this thread (second comment on 7th page)to give you an opportunity to see your own behavior first-hand, as well as several clearly ill-conceived notions in other parts of that thread about "virus starting to disappear as Summer begins" (meanwhile, as I said at the very beginning, human actions determine whether it lives or dies with currently ~5mil cases in the US presently and much lower numbers elsewhere) - But I've entertained this off-topic compulsion long enough.

-

In short, the sun brightens much more as Earth draws closer to and reaches perihelion, than it does from solar minimum to solar maximum.

Edited by Christopher S.
Added some information and links.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

This August, 2020, we have been finding the Sun light, to be much brighter, almost white and I really intense. I'm not an academic in this area but the light from the sun does seem to be brighter. 

I can listen to scientific explanations, but my intuition tells me otherwise.  Being an outdoor photographer for over  15 years, I can attest to the changes.  Four years ago, the sun started changing from yellow to a dull white.  Along with a green dot that appears.  Its not a sundog, its not the camera. Something is happening.  Its not scientific.  I can no longer look toward the sun without a sharp pain behind my eyes.  I see red dots for minutes after.  Why don't we ask the Mount Graham International Observatory?  The answer lies there.

Let's say this again for people who's parents did a sh*t job

You. Are. NOT. Supposed. To. Look. At. The. Sun.

Not ever. Wear shades or a cap if you can't avoid it, like when driving. But by all means, do NOT look directly at the sun.

I can't believe we still need to say this.

https://www.science.org.au/curious/people-medicine/will-looking-sun-really-make-you-blind

• Thanks 1

While I do not condone the use of the word ****... I think its use is justified here! People! Never ever ever look directly at the Sun! That bright orb in the sky isn't getting brighter or dimmer, it might be your eyes getting more or less sensitive! Not impossible if you damage your eyes!

• Like 1

You have to look at the individual frequencies in the whole spectrum

what we are "'seeing" as "the sun is more brighter" ..is because the spectrum has changed

it changes all the time ..each frequency (band) represents a individual process going on in the Sun.

Looking at only its "brightness" (with the wrong sensors: your eyes) is like "TSI" ...  it will not show much variations.

but the individual frequencies/wavelengths (bands) will show variations ... much more then TSI will 

Your eyes cant distinguish those individual changes in that spectrum ... maybe just a little bit 

Your eyes are not made for this.

But there's other biological sensors in your body that look at other wavelenghts then your eyes.

This is my idea of it ...cant proof it yet. 

Edited by Ron NL

6 hours ago, Rebecca Carranco said:

It my not be bright at the moment but the sun does look brighter When I look at it. I dont understand but it does .it might be my eyes playing tricks on me . I dont know 

Please, do NOT look at the sun directly. You will get hurt, possibly permanently. 

I can't believe we need to say this to grown-up adults. 

And yes. it's your eyes.

I believe Sander's original replies over two years ago are the most logical, with theartist's about light scattering/refraction in close second. Trolling or not, one should not relent in trying to... educate the uninformed.

And, of course... don't look at the sun. Don't even allow it into your periphery. You will damage your retinae. This is something that pain should tell you is unwise. As someone adverse to permanent damage to sensory organs, I can testify that going blind, deaf, or numb is not fun. Testing the TSI with your senses is unnecessary - we have instruments designed specifically for that which tell us all we need to know. They are more accurate and objective than our human faculties. Trust those, as they will reveal important and relevant data.

Should you decide to only take the universe for how you can sense it, you are forsaking all advancements in science since the bronze age. That is well within your right, but masochism is not recommended or required to draw fact-based conclusions. Trust us who advise against damage to your sight.

Your Eyes are ment for local observations ...those that possibly need "quick action" 

they are not ment to look at the sun directly... but only at its reflections from objects near us.  

They are usually not looking directed at the Sun ..so dont do that.

I know of some therapies that say you need to look directly at the sun ..

obviously to cure or improve your body

One of those is called "'Sun-Gazing" ... DONT DO THAT !   

Those who invented that are on the right track ... but they have not understood how it really works

Ofcourse sun-gazing belongs in the "alternative" science corner 

they know where to look at ... but they miss the scientific /backgrounds to do it right.

Edited by Ron NL

• 3 weeks later...

The Sun is 100% appearing alot brighter since the end of 2019. It also burns the skin in a very uncomfortable way as soon as it makes contact, even in winter months. Just take a look at this month Sept 2020... Temperatures are changing in the UK from single figures (C) to in the 30's in the same week. Our jet stream is meandering and we don't fully understand why but it's causing flash floods and heavy hailstones at random times, followed by dark clouds, thunder, then back to sunny all in the same hour? Either the change in climate is affecting the atmosphere/stratosphere/jet stream therefore affecting the lightscattering making the Sun seem brighter, or changes in the Sun is responsible for rapidly affecting our overall climate. Would explain the forest fires in Australia and US (Nasa just sent probe to get data from our Sun all of a sudden also). Read your bibles, Jesus is our saviour and he's coming back soon. Repent the Kingdom of God is at hand.

On 9/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jesus is Lord said:

Temperatures are changing in the UK from single figures (C) to in the 30's in the same week. Our jet stream is meandering and we don't fully understand why but it's causing flash floods and heavy hailstones at random times, followed by dark clouds, thunder, then back to sunny all in the same hour? Either the change in climate is affecting the atmosphere/stratosphere/jet stream therefore affecting the lightscattering making the Sun seem brighter, or changes in the Sun is responsible for rapidly affecting our overall climate.

I don't know for whom you speak when you say "We don't fully understand why" but if you actually spoke to a meteorologist about this, they'd describe it in pretty clear detail; warm air tends to travel poleward, while cooler air tends to travel equatorward. This has to do with air density and pressure gradients. In the event of the polar jet stream becoming disrupted, a very cool air mass(relative to the latitudes it then travels to) will travel through warmer regions, leading to the phenomenon of "sweaty sunday, chilly monday" as I like to call it. This has been happening for a very long time.

Now, a climatologist would like to describe at what rate such an event occurs, and factors of the variance in those rates. I have never spoken to any professional climatologist who described a brightening of the sun as a remote factor to consider, because in the professional world, we learn about the major influences of events as well as the minor. As you can learn with a bit of research, the total solar irradiance(TSI) does not increase by a substantial margin during solar maximum - certainly not since 2019, as we are less than a year from the official solar minimum of SC24/25. Conventional science tells us that there is no relationship between the weather phenomenon you describe and the humanly-perceived "brightening" of the sun.

I recommend looking at major influences of climate change - ones that are understood as the science of climatology - as well as getting to know the physics behind meteorological events. These are the building blocks of "getting the picture" and will propel your mind much further than it appears to have gone.

It's honestly okay for some of us to notice changes in the brightness of the sun...stars and planets at day or night. All of that is okay without the need for insults. Not everything has a perfect scientific explanation, believe it or not. I can't explain the colors my eyes can't see. We can't explain things we have yet to discover. Be a little open-minded., not rude-mouthed. Which came first, science or the egg? Yes, the appearance of the sun in the sky is brighter. Maybe some of us see it, others don't. 

• 2 months later...

about two years or so ago i came back to USA from abroad i noticed the sun light was brighter, ignored it. now i'm sure it's the result of the global warming in the most recent years now that we've seen and heard about it been worse? the atmosphere does not have enough protection blocking the sun light and heat.

Scientists who have all the data and instruments to observe the sun: the sun is not getting brighter. 

Some people here, usingonly their eyes as an instrument: Lies!!!! I have done extensive research on the brightness of the sun. I watched it for 10 hours straight and I can scientifically conclude it is getting brighter.

I don't know how to make it more clearer but the sun is not getting brighter. The only change in brightness happens because of the solar cycle, even then, we can't perceive that change in brightness with our eyes. Oh and by the way: DON'T LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE SUN UNLESS YOU WANNA BE BLIND 

It is worth noting that the Earth makes its closest approach to the Sun in January. It is furthest away in June, so the Sun would appear brighter at this time of year. There is an increase of 6.9% in brightness in January vs July every year, but there is no overall increase in solar brightness year over year. 

• Like 1

On November 30, I noticed the sky was bleached and very bright. It might not have actually been brighter, but it seemed brighter and prompted me to see if something was going on with the sun. A basic internet search showed me this site, and discovered the LDE of the M4.4 happened at the same time as when I noticed the sky. Since then, I've been hooked on watching and learning about solar dynamics. Even if it was just the atmosphere, pollution etc., I noticed it. 

Seeming provokes investigation, at least for me. 

• Thanks 1