Is the sun abnormally bright at the moment?

theta
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

• Solution

No, it has not. We are in solar minimum, that’s the period where the sun is less active and because of that the solar irradiance and brightness is a very little bit less then in solar maximum (about 0.1%). Our sun goes through a 11 year cycle and a new one is on his way, in about 6 years we’ll be probably back in solar maximum of the 25th cycle.

I kind of geared my question more towards our perception of the sun from earth as it appears abnormally bright from here, giving me the impression that earth's orbit has changed and we are now heading towards the star. 

• 1 year later...

The perceived brightness of the sun with the unaided eye, at ground level, is due to scattering of sunlight in the atmosphere.  Atmosphere constitutents (e.g, aerosols and cosmic ray by-products) change, and the total atmosphere thickness (particularly the thermosphere) also changes, over time, and these changes can have an affect on the perceived 'brightness' of the sun.

• Like 1

Particles from recent forest fires in Australia have contributed to some unusual effects in day time skies in New Zealand, some of which include a strange and unusual glow/luminescence. Perhaps this is the sort of phenomenon you are seeing?

• 4 weeks later...

The sun is unbearable to watch in these last 2 or 3 years, the brightness has increased dramatically at least to the human eye perception. It also looks a lot whiter than it was, it seems like a white/blue cold star, nothing compared to the old yellow sun we all met. Either the atmosphere is changing, or the sun is burning different.. the only thing that we can take for sure is that it's not perceived to the human eye as it always was and the ammount of people reporting this phenomenon worldwide is impossible to hide despite de efforts. 

• 5 weeks later...

It is much brighter than what is being explained . aerosol fires perception .i disagree. With my welding helmet set to the darkest setting I still could not look at the sun 3 years ago I could with no problem. So I guess we will just call that my eyes being sensitive I doubt it..and the stars even seem much closer than usual.

I’ve observed this as well - mostly with the night sky though (typically don’t stare at the sun much).   When walking my dog at night - the stars/moon/planets have appeared to be incredibly more vibrant and distinct then I ever remember from my suburban well-lighted neighborhood setting.   I used to have to be camping in the mountains for such amazing unaided viewing of the night sky.    I can even pick up the reddish tint of Betelgeuse (again in a well lit neighborhood setting).    

My theory for this is either much less Atmospheric pollution/smog (urban lighting has only increased from my observation setting though) or that the extreme cooling of the thermosphere In the last few months (and maybe stratosphere) has condensed the atmosphere.   So less atmosphere to look through??

reference:

tci_daily_no_power_percentiles.png

• Like 1

Perhaps it is a consequence of the solar minimum as described by several authors?

... the analysis of some 53-year record observations of the solar diameter and sunspot positions during the seventeenth century, which lead to the conclusion that the solar diameter was larger and rotation slower during the Maunder minimum [Ribes et al. in 1987]. ...

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1804.06930.pdf

https://www.nature.com/articles/326052a0

Edited by Emilio Petrozzi
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The ozone layer has been 90% destroyed by Geoengineering aerosols being sprayed into the atmosphere.  The reason why the sun seems too bright now and why it feels so hot on the skin and why we have so many droughts, higher temperatures, dying trees and strange weather......NO FILTERING OF UV by the ozone layer any more.  The total amount of UV type B hitting the surface of the planet 8 years ago has increased over 1000% and now, UV type C is being detected on the surface whereas before, never got past the stratosphere.  Search for "geoengineeringwatch.org" and "tree decline". 

8 uren geleden, dakd2 zei:

I  think I noticed something seems to feel different with solar activity in the last three days but only I feel it like starting from midday and onward

Solar activity has been very low for many weeks now. We are in solar minimum where the solar x-rays are at its lowest. So what you’re experiencing has nothing to do with that.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Solar activity has been very low for many weeks now. We are in solar minimum where the solar x-rays are at its lowest. So what you’re experiencing has nothing to do with that.

If my memory is right, I recall Dr Svalgaard mentioning one time that sunspots cool the surface of the sun. The flip side to that was that the sun's surface becomes slightly hotter without sunspots. Although, I don't see where a person/observer could readily detect that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, goldminor said:

If my memory is right, I recall Dr Svalgaard mentioning one time that sunspots cool the surface of the sun. The flip side to that was that the sun's surface becomes slightly hotter without sunspots. Although, I don't see where a person/observer could readily detect that.

I think I noticed the sun seems to glow golden-reddish and theres a kind of 'strange' background or enviromental sensation I think I didnt feel things of that kind like since the 2012 solar storm

Edited by dakd2

On 2/15/2020 at 7:51 PM, dakd2 said:

I think I noticed the sun seems to glow golden-reddish and theres a kind of 'strange' background or enviromental sensation I think I didnt feel things of that kind like since the 2012 solar storm

Maybe get your kidney function checked. You could be in trouble, if it is affecting your eyesight.

On 12/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, German said:

The sun is unbearable to watch in these last 2 or 3 years, the brightness has increased dramatically at least to the human eye perception. It also looks a lot whiter than it was, it seems like a white/blue cold star, nothing compared to the old yellow sun we all met. Either the atmosphere is changing, or the sun is burning different.. the only thing that we can take for sure is that it's not perceived to the human eye as it always was and the ammount of people reporting this phenomenon worldwide is impossible to hide despite de efforts. 

Just made a half facetious comment to another, but in your case this could be indicating a medical problem. I say this as one time I actually called my brother and described an odd change to the sky, a whitish cast to the sky. I asked him if he also noticed this. What I did not realize at the time was that my kidney function was almost gone, perhaps totally gone at that time. Wasn't long after that when my dad and my father took me to the hospital. I had zero kidney function when they checked me out. I was initially told that I would be on dialysis for the rest of my life. That was in 2004. Fortunately for me my kidneys sprang back above 50% of function after a week in the hospital. I say this to you as your words remind me of what I was seeing back in the early 2000s.

According to these calculations the earth/sun distance at perihelion has reduced several thousand kilometres since 2017 as a result of variations in Earth's elliptical orbit around the Sun. I make no assertion as to it's effect on the Sun's brightness.
http://astropixels.com/ephemeris/perap2001.html

Jim

Edited by Jim

However (from my previous comments), I've heard some strange enormous explosions in my city and also some have been heard in towns not far from me and the government claimed they were just old WW2 bombs being disposed of yet this was when the atmosphere started changing and the constant storms began. i'm starting to believe its geoengineering, weather being manipulated for political power. Watch this:      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxmrwbTKoM&feature=youtu.be&list=PLwfFtDFZDpwutYOt4Ds-626kTMX3gDcuD

9 minutes ago, Goodwinson said:

However (from my previous comments), I've heard some strange enormous explosions in my city and also some have been heard in towns not far from me and the government claimed they were just old WW2 bombs being disposed of yet this was when the atmosphere started changing and the constant storms began. i'm starting to believe its geoengineering, weather being manipulated for political power. Watch this:      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxmrwbTKoM&feature=youtu.be&list=PLwfFtDFZDpwutYOt4Ds-626kTMX3gDcuD

The amount of energy that would be necessary to manipulate the weather to any meaningful end would be not to cause storms but rather to prevent them, and would necessitate the combined power grids of every city on the planet to even make a dent in the current climate patterns. It would not be to cause storms because these happen frequently enough. If you honestly believe that rain in the UK is to anyone's advantage, or is in anyway a "change" from the norm, then I ask that you review annual rainfall totals for the UK throughout history. You'll have to find the proper channels yourself, as I believe they restrict foreign access to weather agency websites(I know Australia and others do).

Geoengineering is not frugal in the UK. There isn't any great source of power or materials in your country to harvest. As a matter of fact, the political consensus in the UK is to block geoengineering efforts, as these have been shown to contribute to greenhouse gas emissions negatively.

Disposal of old explosives is common across the world. Here in Arizona, there is a long forgotten area of rugged terrain that was once used to test WW2 bombs and mines which a brush fire found its way to last year, and the best thing to have done was let the fire burn away the brush and possibly detonate some of these naturally. The explosives in question are very small scale, and hardly impact the ecosystem on any meaningful scale. Nobody complained.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3/7/2020 On Top of Signal Hill Ca - the Storm that's coning from the North has produced more Clearing Winds and the upper atmosphere is colder as Jet Trials are not dissipating -  HOWEVER today is the First day in TWO years that Nobody at HILLTOP PARK could enjoy the SUNSET - we all had to look away - impossible to View - I have never seen a Brighter SUN in my LIFE -62-yeas old - I'm still having trouble with my eyes just from driving - not even two pairs of my darkest Sunglasses worked to stop the blinding effect!  Ive been regular at SUNSET on top of the HILL -  this was like we were in a SCIENCE FICTION  Movie--  I hope its just me??? - and this approaching  storm has simply  cleared the skies so clean that all that's happening is the Sun is not filtered today ?- Man I'm really Blinded - I have been home for 20 Min, and my vision still has RED SPOTS  - oops!  ( just not used to not being able to watch a SUNDOWN)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, Sunisgod said:

3/7/2020 On Top of Signal Hill Ca - the Storm that's coning from the North has produced more Clearing Winds and the upper atmosphere is colder as Jet Trials are not dissipating -  HOWEVER today is the First day in TWO years that Nobody at HILLTOP PARK could enjoy the SUNSET - we all had to look away - impossible to View - I have never seen a Brighter SUN in my LIFE -62-yeas old - I'm still having trouble with my eyes just from driving - not even two pairs of my darkest Sunglasses worked to stop the blinding effect!  Ive been regular at SUNSET on top of the HILL -  this was like we were in a SCIENCE FICTION  Movie--  I hope its just me??? - and this approaching  storm has simply  cleared the skies so clean that all that's happening is the Sun is not filtered today ?- Man I'm really Blinded - I have been home for 20 Min, and my vision still has RED SPOTS  - oops!  ( just not used to not being able to watch a SUNDOWN)

Yes the sun is much brighter. 

I wished to point out that many people at present are reporting a lot more activity in their nervous system.  Not in so many words naturally.  This is March 2020.  A lot of people are beginning to find that they are very very energised.  It is creating some emotional issues, but also some perceptual issues.  It does lead to an impression of increased perceptual sensitivity, so anything will appear more intense, or brighter.  Although it is hard to be completely clear what is causing it, on account of data not going back far enough,  neutrino interaction is suspected.