Sign in to follow this  
theta

Is the sun abnormally bright at the moment?

Question

Not sure if it's just me, but the sun seems to be a lot brighter than it normally is. Has earth's orbit changed recently to bring us closer to the sun, sending us careening into it?

4 answers to this question

No, it has not. We are in solar minimum, that’s the period where the sun is less active and because of that the solar irradiance and brightness is a very little bit less then in solar maximum (about 0.1%). Our sun goes through a 11 year cycle and a new one is on his way, in about 6 years we’ll be probably back in solar maximum of the 25th cycle.

I kind of geared my question more towards our perception of the sun from earth as it appears abnormally bright from here, giving me the impression that earth's orbit has changed and we are now heading towards the star. 

The orbit of the Earth has not changed, we are still at the same orbital position around the Sun. The night sky is still the same, all stars still at the same position...

• Like 1