Anyone Looking At VLF?

Carl F. Pajak

Hello Carl

I do not even know what to answer to this question.
I'm not familiar with this range of waves for several reasons:
1. In Russia it is not allowed for HAM radio (maybe for now, but we do not even have 60, 6 and 4 meter ranges for HAM)
2. Antennas for this range are gigantic in size, due to the wavelengths.

Best Regards
73! Alexander R2FBT

Edited by Alexander

Without getting into a lot of detail (Google Natural VLF), I use the earth/Ionosphere wave guide to monitor the solar wind/x-ray emissions from the sun and its interactions with the earth. Anything with a ground current potential (ie. clouds/electrical grids/earthquakes etc..) can be effected.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am also active in that area for a couple of years.  My Ham radio callsign is LX1KM.

I have developed a shematic based on Gregory Hodowanec experiences (rhysmonic cosmology).

Currently observing special cosmic radiations on a daily basis that I am sometimes able to correlate with particular solar activities,

but not always.  Still trying to understand what I see! :)

I am sharing this briefly without much comments as I have not enough time, on a blog dedicated to this activity: cosmosradio.home.blog

The circuit I am using has been simplified and I just assembled my first PCB board.  The idea is to have this one replicated and running elsewhere on this Planet.

That's why I let it print 10 times and have all the necessary components.  If somebody is interested in participating to this journey and share results, feel free to post me a message.

Best 73s

Michel

• 2 months later...

Hi...it should still appear as a tiny weak signal, with it looking like a vertical line on the spectrogram that's slightly brighter than the surroundings. But I see nothing at all. Did they recently turn off /decommission the WWVB transmitter?

Edited by CariKahn

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

N7ORL here. Long ago I built a “ whistler” receiver but lost interest. Am curious, however if jim creek is still in operation.  A friend a few miles away once asked me why her fluorescent lamps would pulse even with the power off!! No kidding🤣. NLK? I think but it has been a looong time.  73. Mike. 

5 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

N7ORL here. Long ago I built a “ whistler” receiver but lost interest. Am curious, however if jim creek is still in operation.  A friend a few miles away once asked me why her fluorescent lamps would pulse even with the power off!! No kidding🤣. NLK? I think but it has been a looong time.  73. Mike. 

Looks like it probably is, since it was thought to be a potential target for Russian nuclear attack in 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Creek_Naval_Radio_Station

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Looks like it probably is, since it was thought to be a potential target for Russian nuclear attack in 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Creek_Naval_Radio_Station

Thanks for the link Mike,   my brother verified that I was correct in remembering NLK as being below 20 khz. if hes correct at 18.6  sheesh, i’m never gonna win a bet!!!