CME, Solar Winds & Earthquakes

Paul E

Hi to everyone,

I'm new to this forum but not this site. I have been interested in our star and the effects of the sun on the earth. I have asked other people if large CME's and/or earth facing Coronal Holes and elevated solar winds have an impact on Earthquakes here on Earth. I've been told no but monitoring this for over a year I believe their is an impact on Earthquakes. The latest Coronal hole (earth facing) that occurred before Thanksgiving on Thursday thru Saturday, I saw an increase in earthquakes starting on Sunday and then slowing down on Tuesday. Some of the quakes were over 6.0. I'm not sure if it's the heat from the solar winds that heat up the center of the earth or the plasma or the increase of particles that interact with the earth but their is a definite correlation with these events. I wanted some feedback if I am correct and if not why. I would also gather data to show why I believe this to be a fact. 

Thanks and this is a great site.

Paul E

Hi Paul,

In my opinion there absolutely is a correlation. From how I see and experience it, huge amounts of Highly Charged Particles that penetrate our atmosphere not only impact / destabilize our GeoMagnetic Field and disturb Electronic Devices and affect our Well-Being, but they somehow also need to discharge their load and just as normal Lightning does on a small scale: find the weakest spot in the neighborhood, so does the Highly Charged Solar Radiation in huge amounts find its way to the weakest spots on a Global Scale, and these are along our Tectonic Plate Fault lines. This explains why incoming increased Solar Winds not only create GeoMagnetic Turbulence but also trigger more massive Earthquakes and Volcanic Eruptions and even increase Tropical Storms. 

There is at least one Earthquake predicting community who observes Space Weather and is able to predict M6+ Earthquakes with a certain hit ratio. 

I'm not a scientist but I frequently write about Space Weather including Solar Activities. 

Hello Paul,

There is currently no solid verified scientific evidence that link space weather and earthquake activity in any way. There are indeed certain communities that do their own research and aim to link the two together or claim to have done that but this is what I'd call ''back yard'' science which should be approached with a healthy dose of common sense. There is a tweet from very respected solar scientist Karl Battams that I always remember when these discussion pop up. It's too funny not to share:

Everyone is however of course entitled to their opinion and if you manage to prove a correlation between solar activity and earthquake activity you might win a Nobel Prize. Who knows!

Marcel,

I appreciate the comment but I wanted to have a discussion about the effects of solar activity on the earth. To think that the sun and other happenings in the universe don't have any effect on the earth is kind of naive.

Particle flux from the Sun can suddenly change the Kp (Planetary Indices), which may be directed towards Earth in the form of magnetotail. Interaction of the CME particles with the ionosphere, Earth's upper atmosphere (between 80 and 200 km above the ground), has been noticed [34]. Scientists doing research with magnetometers just before major earthquakes have serendipitously recorded tiny, slow fluctuations in Earth's magnetic field. Satellites equipped with IR cameras could be used to detect seismic hot spots from space. In fact, when Freund and Ouzounov of the Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) examined infrared data collected by NASA's Terra satellite, they discovered a warming of the ground in western India just before the powerful January 26, 2001, earthquake in Gujarat.

A severe geomagnetic storm originating from Sunspot No. 486, located in the southern part of the Sun, on 29th October 2003 has shown its effects on the environment of the Earth. It began at approximately 1,700 UT when a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) originating from an X10-class explosion from giant sunspot 486 struck our planet's magnetic field. Proton flux, E-flux and planetary Kp indices showed a sudden rise from 17.00 UTC on 29th October. Proton flux was more than 10 4 Mev and electron flux jumped to 106 Mev, while K-indices was at a peak value of 9. The effect of this CME was observed in crustal disturbances in seismically active parts of the earth. An earthquake of 6.8 on the Richter scale was recorded off the coast of Honshu, Japan on October 31. The Honshu area of Japan is on an active fault which makes it earthquake prone [27, 28]. The triggering of the earthquake is sometimes initiated by the change in the magnetic field in Sun-Earth environment which influences the faulting further. Before the occurrence of this severe earthquake a bright aurora was seen in the sky of Japan. It is possible to correlate the triggering of the active fault in the Honshu area of Japan with the sudden change in the magnetic shield of the earth due to the impact of CME from Sun. The effect of earth directed CME would not only trigger the earthquake, but affect the whole environment of the Earth, including the destruction of ozone layers leading to climate change. Active sunspots 487, 488 and 492, along with 486 in the southern part of the Sun, continue to be a possible threat to the changes in the thermosphere, ionosphere, atmosphere and geosphere of the Earth.

Here is a link to the full article if you would like to read it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3790986/

It would have been more helpful to show me some research or data that backup your claim instead of calling what i'm trying to learn as back yard science or showing a tweet that just wants to say that because i'm trying to show a correlation of solar winds and cme's as having an effect on earthquakes as "Dumb" just shows the ignorance of some people. Facts!

I don't consider the research of these individuals as "Back yard Science" but maybe their research does show a correlation with the earths weather and volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. I don't have a degree in astronomy or as a physicists but I do find the subject of the universe very interesting.

I don't mean any disrespect to you or anyone else but I would think we can have a discussion and agree or disagree without calling each other "Names"

References.docx

I'm not calling anyone names. I am just quoting a tweet of a very respected solar scientist. I even showed my support in my previous post, as I believe that if someone can prove that earthquakes and solar activity are related, the discovery could well be worthy of a Nobel Prize in my opinion.

What I like to see is an explanation that explains exactly how space weather triggers earthquakes. What is it that space weather does to trigger these quakes. I don't just want to hear theories, it has to be supported by evidence. There isn't any evidence yet, only people correlating quakes with solar events. But solar events are common and so are quakes so you are bound to hit the jackpot a couple of times, but that doesn't proof they are related? Yes space weather influences our magnetic field but what does that have to do with plate tectonics?

Any evidence I have seen thus far seem to be more based on random luck of random solar events occurring at the same time as an earthquake. Also, earthquakes remain a common occurrence even during solar minimum. According to the logic of this theory, shouldn't there be a significant decrease of earthquakes during solar minimum? Or less earthquakes during a weak solar maximum than during a strong solar maximum?

Archived