3axis magnetometer

Michal Hoffman

Hi is possible measure change of geomagnetic field via 3axis digital magnetometer when is contain in garmin device or high -end smartphones, with resolution is 0,1 uT = 100nT? I tested my device via high geomagnetic activity a my device display change on geomagnetic field arround device, i measure on open land so far from town .. about 10km, what is displayed change on geomagnetic field?

2017-01-26 20.25.46.jpg

The data contains too much noise to get a good view on the magnetometer data and interpret it. This noise is created due to local disturbances from electronic devices nearby. The device itself can also create loads of noise due to antennas and other components. 

Maybe you can find some more info about that on the Sam Europe page which has software and build instructions for a local magnetometer: http://www.sam-europe.de/en/index_en.html

Hi Michal!   It's interesting that you should ask that question at this time. I am doing a rather exhaustive study about how well smartphone magnetometer systems can reliably detect geomagnetic storms.  I plan to publish the results of this work in the AGU Space Weather Journal once I complete this work.  The results are promising but also suggest a variety of issues that have to be controlled for to make detection reliable. If you want to have a general discussion of this perhaps this would be a good thread to add comments to!

Archived