Northern light/ Night sky cameras

Guest Engelsman Finland

Guest Engelsman Finland

Hi

I spoke to a business in a low light pollution area about installing a night sky camera. 

I am pleased to say the company is very interested. 

Question. What cameras and domes are used. I also would like to know if the camera feed could be used here. (Even links to affordable solutions are appreciated.)

'thanks in advance!

Anthony.

When you think of night sky camera, you plan to picture the whole sky or pointed in a specific direction? Depending on the goal/subject of what you will shoot will be an important factor in what case that goes around the camera. 

When you would opt for an all-sky camera that takes pictures of the whole sky, the most used is a self made box where a DSLR camera is put in together with a fisheye lens. The case has to be built around and be weather sealed so that nothing inside gets wet. Inside the box there are some cables and USB connector to connect the camera to and provide battery life for the camera and wireless transfer to a PC/Server. I'm describing it not in detail because i never built one but i know several amateur astronomers that have build such systems in my country Belgium to catch meteors (most used camera is the standard series like Canon EOS 750D, cheaper ones are okay too but image quality is better in the other range, lenses are always fishes objectives of sigma or canon with low aperture value of 2.8). I also looked a bit around to find a similar setup as i've described here in English that might help out. Click here for the PDF. Beside home-made boxes there are also pre-built ones like the ones from SBIG, but you'll see that they are the same principle. 

We are very open for more discussion about this topic, very interesting ;) 

Guest Engelsman Finland

I plan to aim a camera n n/e facing. I might try a security camera with a dome that's heated. I am hoping if I can get a cheap reliable setup that others will be keen to help with more visual alerts for northern lights.

Archived