What's primarily effecting daily temperature variations?

Guest jago25

Guest jago25

Which chart would I best look at to see a forecast for global temperatures over say, the next 3 days? 

Since I learned about Spaceweather I started asking people about the weather where they are in the world when I call them on the phone. Nearly always I get the same response which matches wherever I am, even on the other side of the world. It's very basic 'Oh it's been a bit warmer today' - just relative terms. But it's amazing. 

I've been trying to monitor various charts but I can't get my head round which one is most accessible to read. Conversion of sunspots from image to a more measurable, quantitative number would be useful to me if I could see that? 

I need an introduction to all this.

There is no defined 210 year cycle of the sun, only the eleven year sunspot cycle. During solar minimum the solar brightness is very very slightly less strong then in solar maximum but the effects on Earth are not or barely noticeable. The Sun has an influence on the climate but must be seen in longer time ranges then a daily variation the topic starter mentions. Most notable variance is during the dalton minimum and Maunder Minimum where global temperatures where lower then usual with the well known mini ice age. 

Daily variations in temperature has much to do with the local weather itself of a given location. Factors include the type of underground, humidity, cloudiness, fog, dust in the air, wind strength and direction, and many more that can give such temperature variations. 

5 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

There is no defined 210 year cycle of the sun, only the eleven year sunspot cycle. During solar minimum the solar brightness is very very slightly less strong then in solar maximum but the effects on Earth are not or barely noticeable. The Sun has an influence on the climate but must be seen in longer time ranges then a daily variation the topic starter mentions. Most notable variance is during the dalton minimum and Maunder Minimum where global temperatures where lower then usual with the well known mini ice age. 

Daily variations in temperature has much to do with the local weather itself of a given location. Factors include the type of underground, humidity, cloudiness, fog, dust in the air, wind strength and direction, and many more that can give such temperature variations. 

I'm sorry, but the Suess/DeVries cycle is still being discussed by scholars regarding its potential impacts on Earth's climate. One could also mention the Gleissberg cycle, althought it has been said to be a subharmonic of the 11 years cycle.

Now I'm not saying the sun has any impact on WEATHER, but it is possible that our friend here mistook the impact on CLIMATE for an impact on immediate meteorological conditions. 

Guest jago25

Ah. 

Well this is already becoming a bit useful. It seems I had made some assumptions and the hypothesis is in fact null. I was finding what I thought was strong global correlations on climate (a better word to use than weather for use, my apologies)... having thought about it I assumed these seemingly global correlations must therefore be something related to space weather. 

I tried monitoring a few things trying to see if anything in space weather might correlate with what I'm seeing. I didn't really see a correlation. 

Electron flux: Fluctuates generally over the minute to hourly scale really. AFAIK this didn't seem enough to impact climate in any way I could see. 

Sunspots: Well... I thought this would be the answer. I thought it might be useful for a global traveller. Yet... I didn't really see a correlation yet. I'm not sure if I just need a proper way to measure or whether there's just no pattern. 

So, back to more traditional accepted effects on climate. There's the tilt of the earth. Well... that AFAIK that doesn't really work for the kind of daily scale fluctuations I'm talking about unless I'm mistaken. I need to rule out confirmation bias here. 

In terms of the earths position relative to the sun, milankovitch... (apologies I am a beginner to all this)... again, this scale is just a lot bigger than what I'm observing. 

So, just to clarify what I'm observing. 

I have travelled or lived in the following areas and called in the following direction:

1) Argentina to the UK

2) The UK to New Zealand

3) New Zealand to the UK

4) Hong Kong to New Zealand

5) New Zealand to Hong Kong

6) Australia to the UK

7) Japan to Hong Kong

8 Indonesia to the UK

I have travelled to more places on work and stuff but these are the direction of my phone calls where, being British I have chatted to someone about the weather and noticed that the person on the other end of the line has said something like 'It brighten up today' or 'Looks like winter is coming' etc - and the same daily change has been noted where in the world I am. It's sadly not scientific and I would like to improve this. Typically I am calling across timezones so it gets confusing because I may have finished the day and they are only just starting in which case they are talking about the previous day. But generally there seems to be a strong relationship whereby aside from season change I notice 1 or 2 day scale changes. 

Archived