C8 Will it help produce northern lights?

Guest Engelsman Finland

Guest Engelsman Finland

Hi

I have been waiting for some good solar flares. I am aware the M class flares usually (if they hit earth) help produce northern lights.

What do the C class do? The same but weaker? Giving the traditional 3 day arrival time this is a new years eve display and living in Finland I always have a chance depending on cloud cover.

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Anthony

Hey,

First of all you need to know that not every solar flare produces a coronal mass ejection. It is the coronal mass ejection that cause aurora at Earth, not solar flares. Solar flares are huge explosions on the Sun which can (but don't have to) launch coronal mass ejections (which are huge clouds of solar plasma) into space and once those CMEs hit Earth, it will cause aurora.

Most C-class solar flares do not launch coronal mass ejections and as far as I am aware, the C8 solar flare you mention did not launch a coronal mass ejection. A M-class solar flare is in progress right now and it might launch a CME, however we need coronagraph imagery from SOHO/LASCO to confirm.

Archived