Auroras, December 20th, 2015

ignitro

Seems like our US and Canadian friends are in for a treat.:rolleyes:
Just contacted my cousin in Vancouver, he is swearing his &ss off because of the weather.
Clouded, with no chance of improvement.
Timing for europe seems bad, very bad.
And tonight the clouds will probably ruin the slight chance we have.....
better luck next time.

Guest Paulsky

I sincerely hope the weather will be clearing up for tonight. At present at Rørvik (N) it's 100% clouds and no signs of any clear skies. At least, last night we had one hour of unclouded sky bur regrettably whilst the field was positif.

Very good space weather indeed. Unfortunately the weather sucks big time!

I'm contemplating the idea of driving all the way north of the Netherlands, but that's a 2 hours drive (1 way), with only very slight chances of clear sky, and moreover who knows if by the time I get there the space weather will still be good!

Guest Engelsman Finland

This was one of the extremely rare moments you get an eye shaped cloud. Crossed with northern lights. Thanks space weather. You guys have helped no end! Tesjoki, Finland.

image.jpeg

Guest Skylove

It's been disappointing weather in MN.  There's been non stop clouds for much of the month.  It's even been making the news if there are periods of sun. Tonight is no exception.  Dense cloud cover here and no signs of it relenting.  I feel like the storm got wasted here and could have been better spent on a clear day, if we will have one. Future forecast paints more the same.  The 29th-31st is when accuweather finally stops painting "poor" weather for star gazing. Then back to poor on the 1st, then might be okay on the 2nd, then back to poor again until they update. :(

Looked up Duluth Grand Rapids to see if hypothetically I could hitch a ride and go north. Nope. Cloudy there too.  All the way through the end of December "poor" with only only the 30th painted green. I'm guessing "fair" at best since the day is forecasted to be cloudy.  Dang.  No hope of seeing it anywhere in my state.

One of the best I've seen. I missed activity at about 8pm gmt. Logged onto the computer and saw kp8 and made for the mountains about an hour away, Very lucky with weather but it was bitter. From about the time I got there there was a static green arc that was slowly rising and then just before midnight it seemed to fade then all of a sudden it just took off. the curtains and flares visible with the naked eye. 

Taken on the Waterford Tipperary Border Ireland 

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0241 1024.jpg

Archived