Why do we keep getting storms?

Guest danderson500

Guest danderson500

i am kind of worried about the coronal hole later in the week

was asking are expecting anything bad from from the CIR or the coronal hole

so the CME's we are getting are slower than usal?

i am kind of worried about the coronal hole later in the week

was asking are expecting anything bad from from the CIR or the coronal hole

No. The CIR/Coronal hole are nowhere strong enough to cause anything bad.

so the CME's we are getting are slower than usal?

It so happened that way. Could be different, could happen again. We can't predict the speed/density of the next CME. Don't worry, you will know as soon as we do if anything interesting was bound to happen =)

NOAA says there was a flimanet erupton this morning.. do we know yet what it was?

A filament eruption is much less "interesting" than a full-halo CME for you, my friend. From what I've understood, a filament eruption is just that : an eruption that lacks sufficient power to erupt a large mass of plasma at a time.

Think of it as a soda bottle. If you make it explode, you'll end up with 60 ounces of pop on the floor in a very short period of time. If you shake it and pierce a small hole, you'll end up with 20-30 ounces of pop spread in a "filament" over a much longer period of time. 

This filament (or the one before, there was one like 1-2 days ago) could be the CME causing the lingering geomagnetic storm. 

Really danderson we are not going to repeat ourselves a million times over. Consider this a friendly warning. It's borderline spamming what you are doing. A geomagnetic storm that has the strength of the Carrington event occurs very very very rarely. Once every few hundred years perhaps. It was caused by an extreme coronal mass ejection with a speed much higher than any coronal hole solar wind stream will ever reach. Like we said the previous 999.999 times: there is nothing for you to worry about. The world will still be here as you know it when you wake up tomorrow.

Guest danderson500

Really danderson we are not going to repeat ourselves a million times over. Consider this a friendly warning. It's borderline spamming what you are doing. A geomagnetic storm that has the strength of the Carrington event occurs very very very rarely. Once every few hundred years perhaps. It was caused by an extreme coronal mass ejection with a speed much higher than any coronal hole solar wind stream will ever reach. Like we said the previous 999.999 times: there is nothing for you to worry about. The world will still be here as you know it when you wake up tomorrow.

thanks for the explanation now i know that a coronal hole wont cause any issues  but i was worried because it hit kp7 i wont spam as much from now on

Okay danderson, save this chart for future use : 

G1 : Pff, who cares?
G2 : Possible auroras!
G3 : Oooh, shiny, auroras!
G4 : Well, that's gonna be a show!
G5 : Interesting, I could use a free day to watch events unfold... and fill up my gas tank.
G5+ : Well, perharps I could also fill my bathtub with water...

G5+ is when a BIG CME is headed towards us. Every year, we have like 1/30 chance that this might happen, and this big CME won't even be Carrington-class. Considering the present geopolitical level of conflict, we also get like 1/20 chance that something ELSE might happen, like the hacking of the power grid, a nuclear EMP or just a good ol'war.

Really, it is not the sun that should worry you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived