What is "The Great Conveyor belt" ?

AbeH

I think it is wonderfully explained. What part makes you scratch your head? =)

(What I would like to know is the large-CME occurances during low-intensity solar cycles. I've heard that the Carrington event occured during one of those cycles, is that true?)

well I could probs understand it better if i read more than 30 second of it im just very tired.

well I could probs understand it better if i read more than 30 second of it im just very tired.

Well I went back and read it again I have a better understanding of it but Id still like to hear some other explanations.

I think it is wonderfully explained. What part makes you scratch your head? =)

(What I would like to know is the large-CME occurances during low-intensity solar cycles. I've heard that the Carrington event occured during one of those cycles, is that true?)

The one thing I guess Id like to know is What causes the "Current" in the sun?

That's a pretty good question. I'm going to try, but I'd very much like an admin to check my answer for mistakes.

The sun is not an idle, evenly-hot piece of rock. It's actually an immense (well, that's relative!) pile of hydrogen (and helium, and other stuff) that is self-generating energy in a cycle of nuclear hydrogen fusion (in the core region - that creates helium as it's burning the hydrogen). This energy has to go somewhere, and since the sun is not a solid, it moves through convection (rather than through diffusion, for example). Convection currents of the sun are similar to those that affect the Earth's mantle, but also to those in the Earth's atmosphere. These currents are created by the movement of energy/matter (plasma, as a matter of fact, the 4th state of matter, AKA superheated gazes) ; as it gets hotter, it moves towards the corona, and as it cools moves back towards the core (the plasma is heated at 16 million K at the core, and "only" at 6000 K at the surface).

You can see convective currents by adding solids with a mass very similar to water's in boiling water, if it helps you visualize the whole thing. It really is just a matter of upwards/downwards cycle influenced by heat.

And if you have a lot of time to spend, you can also read the Wikipedia article about the sun. =)

That's a pretty good question. I'm going to try, but I'd very much like an admin to check my answer for mistakes.

The sun is not an idle, evenly-hot piece of rock. It's actually an immense (well, that's relative!) pile of hydrogen (and helium, and other stuff) that is self-generating energy in a cycle of nuclear hydrogen fusion (in the core region - that creates helium as it's burning the hydrogen). This energy has to go somewhere, and since the sun is not a solid, it moves through convection (rather than through diffusion, for example). Convection currents of the sun are similar to those that affect the Earth's mantle, but also to those in the Earth's atmosphere. These currents are created by the movement of energy/matter (plasma, as a matter of fact, the 4th state of matter, AKA superheated gazes) ; as it gets hotter, it moves towards the corona, and as it cools moves back towards the core (the plasma is heated at 16 million K at the core, and "only" at 6000 K at the surface).

You can see convective currents by adding solids with a mass very similar to water's in boiling water, if it helps you visualize the whole thing. It really is just a matter of upwards/downwards cycle influenced by heat.

And if you have a lot of time to spend, you can also read the Wikipedia article about the sun. =)

That was a very good explanation you did a good job I think would I also be right if I explained it in very simple terms as "Hot air rises and Cool air sinks"

Archived