Sunspot region 2403

Maxime Fiset

Hi everyone.

I have stumbled upon the top 25 sunspots page, and I have compared it to current 12403. It is currently 760 in size with 66 spots in it. It's much smaller than the last of the top 25, but higher than most when it comes to the sunspot number.

So I was wondering : what is the most relevant when comparing sunspot regions? Size? Sunspot number? Magnetic classification? Class spot? If I was to try and predict how active and powerful a region can be, let's say its "CME potential", what variables should I take into account? What should I disregard?

Thanks!

Maxime

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone.

I have stumbled upon the top 25 sunspots page, and I have compared it to current 12403. It is currently 760 in size with 66 spots in it. It's much smaller than the last of the top 25, but higher than most when it comes to the sunspot number.

So I was wondering : what is the most relevant when comparing sunspot regions? Size? Sunspot number? Magnetic classification? Class spot? If I was to try and predict how active and powerful a region can be, let's say its "CME potential", what variables should I take into account? What should I disregard?

Thanks!

Maxime

That isn't really so easy. Start with the strongest solar flare list and analyse how these sunspot groups looked like when they produced their strongest solar flares http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/top-50-solar-flares

You will see that they had complex magnetic layouts, often with numerous compact delta sunspots. Size is tricky as not every monster sunspot region produces extreme flares with massive CMEs. The largest sunspot region in I think it was 24 years ''only'' managed an X3 event as strongest flare. http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/region/12192

When it comes to class you will see that the largest most complex regions that produce the biggest flare often get classified as ''FKC'' http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help/the-classification-of-sunspots-after-malde

Now we have a impulsvie M5.6 flare :) If i good see this flare was on the east side AR2403

Yeah the flare was exactly right there where that little delta is. :)

Is there a chance that 2403 could come back after its rotation to the other side?

Would it still be called 2403?

Can Stereo Ahead show it on EUVI 195?

Yes, but doubt there would be much left of it, if any.

No, sunspot regions get a new number as they return.

Yes, you should be able to track it on STA.

Guest danderson500

From what I understand Once a sunspot starts to decay it dosnt stop. I could be wrong though.

then look at this

aug28.jpg

i am worried that it will be as active as it was the last time..how many times has 2403 been on the disk?

Only once, as 2403. Maybe twice judging by it's size and growth/degrowth, but it's decaying now. Even if it is active when (IF!) it comes back, it will be smaller.

What do you do in life? Do you have an education? Kids? Do you practice a hobby? Do you believe in God?

From what I understand Once a sunspot starts to decay it dosnt stop. I could be wrong though.

That's not always true. We often see that when a sunspot starts to decay it doesn't stop but there are always exceptions where sunspot groups decay for a while and then start to grow again. It isn't that common but it can happen.

That's not always true. We often see that when a sunspot starts to decay it doesn't stop but there are always exceptions where sunspot groups decay for a while and then start to grow again. It isn't that common but it can happen.

Ok well thanks for telling me that I didnt know that could happen.

2403 was located on the Sun's southern hemishphere and this CME is going north so unlikely it was 2403. Looks more like a far side filament to me. Any CME from 2403 would be directed towards the left (east) on STA as that's where 2403 is now in STA perspective. It is on the east limb if you watch STA.

Archived