Sunspot region 2360 on GONG

Guest danderson500

You shouldn't put too much trust in GONG. It likely isn't as large (if there is anything left) then GONG makes it out to be. There have been no major far side CMEs so the region is likely not active at the moment. In 5 days or so it will appear on the limb if there is something left.

Guest danderson500

what do you make of this GONG image

what does that dark red mean? edit should not trust GONGmrfqj150630t0000.jpg

You shouldn't put too much trust in GONG. It likely isn't as large (if there is anything left) then GONG makes it out to be. There have been no major far side CMEs so the region is likely not active at the moment. In 5 days or so it will appear on the limb if there is something left.

why do you say that i shouldn't put too much trust in GONG? kind of wish that we weren't under superior solar conjunction

so I should not trust GONG? I have seen a large blob  on there that turned out to be a small sunspot

why do you say that i shouldn't put too much trust in GONG? kind of wish that we weren't under superior solar conjunction

so I should not trust GONG? I have seen a large blob  on there that turned out to be a small sunspot

I do not know any details but I think unremarkable solar features like faculae also get picked up with this method and that makes it look sometimes on GONG as if there is a large far side sunspot group which is often nothing of significance.

Guest danderson500

I do not know any details but I think unremarkable solar features like faculae also get picked up with this method and that makes it look sometimes on GONG as if there is a large far side sunspot group which is often nothing of significance.

thanks i was wondering

No, how many times we have to say that answer again?

Stop Looking at farside imagery, it's not important and not interesting. It's only interesting to see if there is some regions on the far side without more detail to it. So it doesn't care if it's big or small it's not important. We'll see the region when it's nearing the limb and from then we see if it is something interesting or not and in most cases it's just normal tiny regions.

case closed

How many times do we have to repeat ourselfs? 

On GONG you can not tell how big a sunspot region is and/or of it's in a phase of decay or growing phase and you also can't tell if it's faculae or other remnants of sunspot regions.

it only shows locations where a region MIGHT be, nothing more, nothing less. That was one of the reason STEREO was launched to get to know more about what happens on the farside to improve current models and GONG.

case closed again.

Guest danderson500

ok then i will stop

you know 2371 could become small because it has not been active since Wednesday

Guest danderson500

i was asking about 2371 because according to NASA DONKI it has not been active since Wednesday

i was asking about 2371 because according to NASA DONKI it has not been active since Wednesday

Why even care  about that region? it's on the farside and harmless, we don't keep an eye on it. We'll watch the Suns limb if something interesting 'could' be seen and even then we are days ahead. Stop worrying about the farside...

Guest danderson500

i am not a expert on the farside but would the SDO JOSC farside have the same issues as GONG

Archived