Help making up a sunspot # for a book

Guest booknerd44

Guest booknerd44

I'm writing a book in which a large flare will occur.  For accuracy sake I want to plot out the sunspot number with the R=K(10g+S) but no matter what I plug in I'm not coming up with a large enough number.  

I'm guessing my problem is not knowing how many groups and how many individual spots to use to make this believable.  For self preservation I'm not going to put my awful calculations up here.  I just need some help coming up with a record size spot and it's relative "wolf number" or whatever you want to call it. Humbly I ask for some ideas. I'd like to make up a flare larger than the X28 recorded.  

The strongest flares do not occur when the sunspot number is at the highest level... For example in SC23 an X28 occurred way after solar max. It all depends on the complexity of the region, not necessarily the number of regions or sunspot number

why not use data from previous cycles with the known wolf number and smoothed cycle data? Also you can search our archive, daily sunspot data for the October storm 2003 is available ;)

Guest booknerd44

Not a bad idea. Sounds easier than re-inventing the wheel! How do you suggest I vary the available info a little so I don't get a duplicate sunspot #? And where do I pull up the detailed info?
(thanks for the training wheels haha)

Go on our main site to "solar activity" --> "solar cycle progression". You'll find beside smoothed monthly sunspot number also the number of flares per year. 

Also check out our archive and top flare list. On our main site go to "archive"

To vary your values just count an extra percentage or so. 

Also of note, if you write about gigantic flares, u should known that the sensors on GOES satellite get saturated at X17. So you won't know the real strength, this is where scientists come in to determine the real strength and that takes some time.

also of note, very strong flares can also be limited in duration and thus don't create super great CME's, it depends on a lot. Hope you take that into account ;) 

We even made a video covering some of the strongest solar flares ever recorded from Halloween 2003. Watching this video might give you some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hABmdvKReNo

And here is all the info you could ask for regarding the sunspot region that produced the X28 solar flare: http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/region/10486 If you want to make up your every own sunspot region you could use those numbers as a base and exaggerate them a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived