25/0049

X4.9

Int 4.3e-01 J m-2 End

25/0103

X2.3

Thanks for opening this topic.

SpaceWeatherLive Report

X4.97 solar flare

A major solar flare with a maximum X-ray flux of X4.97 peaked at 00:49 UTC. The flare occurred around newly numbered sunspot region 1990 which was sunspot region 1967 during the previous rotation. This solar flare is the third strongest solar flare of this solar cycle.

A Coronal Mass Ejection might have been launched but should have little to no effect on Earth considering the location of this group. More information will follow later if there is a CME associated with this event that has an Earth-directed component.

http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-94-0-36502000-1393291158.jpghttp://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-94-0-84905800-1393292360.jpghttp://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-94-0-78951200-1393292361.pnghttp://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-94-0-08697800-1393292385.png

UPDATE 1:50 UTC:

Major CME visible on the latest SOHO LASCO imagery. We have to wait for more imagery to see if it has an Earth-directed component. Most (if not all) of the ejecta is heading east as expected.

UPDATE 2:30 UTC:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=527464477368066

The electron level in EPAM isn't a sign that something's heading our way? The protons though didn't move much...

Anyway good to see good old 1967 back with us and still capable :) in 48 hrs I'll be in Lapland and will thus this time enjoy a full half rotation of our old friend :P

Guest Stephane Mabille
Hello, we are not completely sheltered, rising 30 MeV Protons and a sign of Earth directed component. 

NASA Goddard model look. Enlil111338Epame7d.gif

Hmmm I should ask the captain of the Paris-Helsinki flight that I take tomorrow night to let me in the cockpit to take photos of the northern horizon, if that CME really left with 2000km/s then it'll arrive right when I'm above the clouds facing the north...

SpaceWeatherLive Report

X4.97 solar flare - First CME analysis

LASCO imagery is dripping in and an asymmetrical full halo CME can be seen. This CME was launched by a X4.9 solar flare from region 1990 near the eastern limb. It is likely that this CME will arrive at Earth as a glancing blow somewhere during the second half of February 27.

The >10MeV protons are slowly rising and might reach the S1 threshold. EPAM low-energy protons and electrons are also currently rising, confirming that the CME indeed has an Earth-directed component.

CME in LASCO C2

2u9mtjp.gif

CME in LASCO C3 (ADDED 14:30 UTC)

rlxu74.gif

Large Scale Coronal Propagating Front + Coronal dimming

10rtyq0.gif2jfegzt.gif

Perfect! Now can you predict the weather as good as the space weather? ;) I'm already exasperated by the forecasts before even being there, because I have a strong feeling it will be exactly as in December/January: clouds, clouds, clouds and more clouds!

It is likely that this CME will arrive at Earth as a glancing blow somewhere during the second half of February 27.

Guest PetaFlux

I don't think it will hit, the current solar wind is to low for this partial cme component to break trough the slow moving particles in the Parker spirals.

It will most likely be forced east.

I dont how about you, but it's raining heavy protons here!

On the lasco c2 gif pic above - on the left is the CME, but what is that on the bottom right then?

The bottom right on the very first frames before the X4 CME? That is another CME from another eruption. Not sure what eruption, possibly far side but that is not Earth-directed.

I don't think it will hit, the current solar wind is to low for this partial cme component to break trough the slow moving particles in the Parker spirals.

It will most likely be forced east.

Perhaps but the Parker Spiral should have a limited effect with such a fast CME. We are likely to see some kind of CME arrival but it won't be a major event.

Guest Stephane Mabille

In any case the trend and high solar activity and radiation storm Electron - Proton + wind of coronal origin between 27-28, geomagnetic field instabe (well) in advance.

Guest Harry Twinotter

At 14:10 on February 25 2014 (UT) proton flux> 10MeV, X4 CME
February 27 another X4 CME?

Why do you ask that? The X4 refers to the strength of the solar flare, nothing else.

Guest lingduxingxi
I'm sorry, my English is not good. I am also a beginner, I want to ask is, X4.9 of CME, forecasts reach Earth in February 27? 
Then, on February 25 GOES satellite monitored proton flux> 10MeV, this is X4.9 of CME?
Why the Earth is not the same arrival time of 2? 
CME is mainly electrons and protons?

Guest lingduxingxi

X4.9 solar flare,Proton on February 25 on arrival to Earth? And GOES satellite monitored? 

This is not the ACE satellite monitoring protonflux to?

Guest lingduxingxi

At 14:10 on February 25 2014 (UT) proton flux> 10MeV, This is the GOES satellite monitored should be another CME, not X4?

ACE satellite monitoring to the X4?

120258wqvybvzzyv6f5z1v.png

120259fpm98t666mob5595.png

Archived