Kins naar Lapland winter 2013-14

kins

Hoi allemaal!

Ik heb 2 reizen naar Lapland gepland voor dit winter.

Eerst van 28/12 tot 9/1. Dit keer met mijn ouders en broer. Ik hoop dat het lukt om ze poollicht te laten zien!

Dan ga ik van 27/2 tot 20/3. Voor deze periode heb ik hetzelfde huisje als eerder dit jaar gehuurd. Ik huur ook een auto. Dit keer wil ik graag aan mensen van het forum aanbieden, om me te komen. Ik heb gerekend dat dat voor 120 euros per dag (incl. appartement, auto, benzine, eten) zou mogelijk zijn. Je hoeft alleen je vlucht te boeken, de rest regel ik allemaal! Ik denk dat ik nu voldoende ervaring met "aurora hunting" heb om dat te kunnen aanbieden :)

Als er mensen zijn met interesse, let me know en ik stuur graag meer details.

Er zijn alleen een paar plekken beschikbaar, het is niet de bedoeling om tour operator te worden.

Groetjes! En stay tuned voor alle foto's :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest m_cruiser

Is eind februari of begin maart een goed plan om heel noordelijk te gaan en hopelijk het poollicht te zien?

Plan is om dit te doen:

Noorderlicht-1-353x500.jpg

Hi m_cruiser,

Als je heel noordelijk gaat, is er geen slecht moment om poollicht te zien. Statistisch gezien is er poollicht ongeveer op 50% van heldere nachten.

Grootste probleem is het weer. Begin maart is meestal beter dan eerder in de winter (droger). Ook zijn de dagen langer en je hebt ook mooie dingen te zien tijdens de dag.

Als ik je plaatje zie neem ik aan dat je een cruise neemt van Tromso naar Kirkenes? Leuk :)

Kins, Wat een leuk initiatief. Ik heb al geboekt voor een eigen reis eerder in februari maar ga je natuurlijk met grote belangstelling volgen! Groeten, Vincent

Hi Vincent! Wat leuk dat je ook gaat! Naar welke gebied?

Voorbereidingen van mijn eerste reis van dit winter (over 2,5 weken!):

- 2e "dew heater" besteld

- 2e 14mm f/2.8 lens besteld (maar niet de Canon dit keer, gewoon goedkoop manual Samyang)

- grote 8 Ah accu besteld voor de dew heaters

- 2e tripod staat op mij te wachten bij het hotel in Inari en eerste tripod is eindelijk gerepareerd

Dus, wat gaan wij doen? Elke avond 2 camera's klaar zetten om vanaf 2 oogpunten foto series te maken, en dan 2 keer langer timelapse materiaal te verzamelen!

En de accu voor de dew heaters bedoelt dat ik niet meer dichtbij van de auto hoef de blijven, dus niet meer langs de weg en zo voorkom ik de "flashes" van autolampen in mijn vorige video :)

Stay tuned!

Reservebatterijen is heel belangrijk inderdaad.

Tip: batterijen gaan heel snel leeg als het koud is. Bewaar ze niet in je camera, dat zelf in een (rug)tas is en dus aan de kou geëxposeerd, maar ergens dicht van je lichaam (broekzak bij voorbeeld). Zet ze in de camera op het laatste moment alleen als je weet dat je foto's gaat maken :)

Guest samaritan

Hallo Kins, goede plannen heb je! Misschien kan je mij er meer over vertellen? Volg het forum al een tijdje, maar heb me net aangemeld om op je oproep te kunnen reageren. Ben benieuwd!

Hoi samaritan,

Hieronder wat meer informatie (in het engels), zoals ik het aan mijn vrienden een collega's heb aangeboden (sorry, Nederlands is niet mijn moedertaal en vrij moeilijk om te schrijven)

Trip_Page1.jpg

Trip_Page2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Vinden jullie het vervelend als ik verder in het Engels doorga? Ik deel heel graag alles met jullie maar het is mij echt te moeilijk om in het Nederlands te schrijven :rolleyes:

I am going to be just too late for the effects of the coronal hole that is now turning to the western limb of the solar disc, but luckily a new one seems to be rotating into view, and should be even more geoeffective as really around the equator.

2vta00g.jpg

Let's hope it gets confirmed! First night up there: 29 December.

The weather forecast though seems awful for the foreseeable future :(

You can type English here, no problem for me, I'm sure most people understand English. You can open the same topic in English for our international visitors if you like: http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/forum/28-general-discussions/

That indeed is a nice trans-equatorial Coronal Hole! Good luck on your trip! :)

Happy New Year to all! A great night in Northern Finnish Lapland with the beautiful aurora greeting us into 2014, right around midnight! Being based in Inari, it was quite a challenge to catch the aurora because of the bad weather. We could not miss the best fireworks in the world and decided to drive all the way around the Inari Lake some 100km further north to catch some clear skies. A very successful night!

11677193533_ee008fbdb2_o.jpg

Thank you Marcel!

Last night with the arrival of the high speed solar wind stream from the trans-equatorial coronal hole, meaning possibilities of bright and powerful auroras, all my expectations were slowed down by the terrible weather forecasts.

I decided nevertheless to drive all the way from Inari to Nuorgam (the northernmost point of Finland) where the sky would be only half-cloudy. This proved to be a good decision! Leaving at 5pm was also a good decision, as the storm started as soon as it became dark enough. A green glow was very visible above the clouds.

11696414745_423c4ae211_o.jpg

11696415345_eec76aa5c0_o.jpg

Then on the way back, about 20km before Inari, after driving 50km inside a snow storm, I could suddenly see some stars and stopped. The aurora danced high and bright in the sky for a few minutes, before snow started falling again (the photo in portrait format).

11697178546_79dd28f249_o.jpg

So, another successful night in the Arctic!

The weather is being terrible up here in Lapland. I missed the biggest show of the past 2/3 days storm. Pity especially when I was seeing the Tromso all sky cam :(

Here's a corona through the clouds, that I took on 1 January on the 1st day of the storm. It does not get any better than this I'm afraid!

5 more days left up here, weather could  be slightly better starting tomorrow, let's see what we get. Never give up!

11750721533_0d0ee3028f_o.jpg

Last night I had again to literally chase the aurora through the clouds. Found myself a nice (well-known) spot where unfortunately the wrong half of the sky (southern part) was cloudless, whereas the aurora was obviously strongly dancing under the clouds in the north.

11772163186_2b69e0db3e_o.jpg

The milkyway was nicely visible:

11771661533_3008c73eca_o.jpg

Nothing to do with the CME (did he get lost on the way? :lol: ) that was announced, but nonetheless wonderful auroras in Northern Finnish Lapland for my last night in the Arctic!

11855370546_b2c294548d_o.jpg

I will post more photos (and of better quality) when I get back home next week.

Next trip: March 2014, for 3 entire weeks! :)

• 5 weeks later...

I am starting to be hopeful that the marked coronal hole will start producing effects in about 2 weeks and last for long enough to give nice geomagnetic activity when I arrive in Lapland on the 27th. From Stereo images it looks like it's extending on the hidden face of the sun as well? Fingers crossed :)

Hi Vincent, yes I've seen that the weather is awful this week in Lapland and even most of the usual clear skies spots in Northern Norway :( How long are you still staying? Weather can change so fast up there, I hope that you get lucky! ;)

Archived