Archive Suggestions

Kaimbridge

A couple of suggestions for the daily archive:

1. Create  static links for the archive image pages—e.g., instead of https://www.spaceweather.live/en/archive/2016/09/29/xray, have something like https://www.spaceweather.live/en/archive/xray/yesterday (if it is easier on your end to have it the other way, just redirect to the date specific one).
  2. On the actual image, when a time segment is stretched, can either the ”Reset zoom“ box be moved outside of the actual graph area (e.g., put it next to the ”Chart context menu“) or shift the data pop-up cloud below the ”Reset zoom“ box when it is behind it?

The URLs of the archive are in a logical way build to support the whole date ranges used throughout the archive (year/month/day/option). Pure technical it's more difficult to build in other variables and checks. The code already is pretty complicated with all the checks going on behind the scenes purely for the date and calendar and archive displays.

For the reset zoom button, we've looked into the API to move it but we don't have an option to move it outside the chart zone so the data label can be hidden behind it ? It's a limitation of the system we're using. 

16 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

The URLs of the archive are in a logical way build to support the whole date ranges used throughout the archive (year/month/day/option). Pure technical it's more difficult to build in other variables and checks. The code already is pretty complicated with all the checks going on behind the scenes purely for the date and calendar and archive displays.

Okay, then what about, like I said, give a static link, then just redirect it to the dated link?

For the reset zoom button, we've looked into the API to move it but we don't have an option to move it outside the chart zone so the data label can be hidden behind it 1f914.png It's a limitation of the system we're using. 

Alright, if you canʼt move the button, can you either make the data cloud go in front of the button, shift it above or below the button, or change the button color to transparent when the cloud is behind it?

Static link on a dynamic website is hard ;) we have to code it to make it work so it will always be dynamic. We don't really see an advantages for such link, users won't know the link because there will be no link in our menu for that. Most users just browse to the archive and use the calendar. As most of the main data like DSCVR, xray goes back on the extended page 24h back it's easy enough to quick look 24h back in time without browsing the archive. As of 'test' we've made https://www.spaceweather.live/en/archive/yesterday to work

For the zoom button, it will always be on top of everything because otherwise the user can't click to reset zoom. It's a limitation of the system where using. We dug deep to find a hack but haven't found a way.

• 5 months later...

What happened to the “...archive/yesterday” link?—itʼs been stuck on Friday, 10 March 2017!

Also, on the Real-time solar activity page, there is a “Solar activity past two hours” chart with “Current value” and “Highest value (2h max)”:  On the “Solar flares” page of the daily archive, why not have the “Highest 24h value” listed under the solar activity chart?

That's strange. The ''yesterday'' link works fine for me. Maybe Sander will take a look at it when he reads this.

Hmmm why would that be useful? If there were solar flares than the highest flux will of course be listed in the solar flares list as a solar flare and is it really that interesting to know what the highest flux was if there weren't any solar flares? A8 or A9... is that important to know? ?

5 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

That's strange. The ''yesterday'' link works fine for me. Maybe Sander will take a look at it when he reads this.

When you click the link , doesnʼt it land at “Viewing archive of Friday, 10 March 2017”?

As for the max flux, it is interesting and relevant to see how low the highest daily flux will reach, as the cycle progresses—just like it is interesting to watch the solar flux fall (which, BTW, has already been dropping down to 70 and we still have a couple of years to go...and last cycle it only reached 65 a few times in 2008:  You think it will make it down into the 50s and maybe even a couple of high 40s this time around? P=).

5 minuten geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

When you click the link, doesnʼt it land at “Viewing archive of Friday, 10 March 2017”?

As for the max flux, it is interesting and relevant to see how low the highest daily flux will reach, as the cycle progresses—just like it is interesting to watch the solar flux fall (which, BTW, has already been dropping down to 70 and we still have a couple of years to go...and last cycle it only reached 65 a few times in 2008:  You think it will make it down into the 50s and maybe even a couple of high 40s this time around? P=).

No, if I enter the URL in my browser I get to yesterday's page, Tuesday, 14 March 2017. I'm sure Sander will comment on this when he sees this thread. We had some major behind the scenes maintenance on Saturday, it might have to do with that.

Ahhh you mean the 10.7cm Solar Radio Flux? I thought you were talking about the X-ray flux. Maybe that's worth the effort. Will let Sander be the judge, he's the one that makes the magic happen. :)

2 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Ahhh you mean the 10.7cm Solar Radio Flux? I thought you were talking about the X-ray flux. Maybe that's worth the effort. Will let Sander be the judge, he's the one that makes the magic happen. :)

No, I did mean the (e.g.) “A5.3” X-ray flux (the solar flux is an added comment/observation!).  ?

Okay, disregard the “...archive/yesterday” link issue—I tried it on a different browser (Opera) and a separate, administrative opening of this browser (FireFox) and it worked fine, so I played around with the cache (again....Iʼm sure I cleared it a few days ago when I first noticed this issue) a couple of times and it loads with “yesterday” now!  ?

Op 14-3-2017 om 22:58, Kaimbridge zei:

What happened to the “...archive/yesterday” link?—itʼs been stuck on Friday, 10 March 2017!

Added a header to prevent browsers from caching the redirect, this should fix it ?

Op 14-3-2017 om 22:58, Kaimbridge zei:

Also, on the Real-time solar activity page, there is a “Solar activity past two hours” chart with “Current value” and “Highest value (2h max)”:  On the “Solar flares” page of the daily archive, why not have the “Highest 24h value” listed under the solar activity chart?

Added

On 3/17/2017 at 3:28 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Added a header to prevent browsers from caching the redirect, this should fix it 1f600.png

Nope, didnʼt work, though if I open it in a private window (which doesnʼt save anything, including page cache), it does.  I also tried it in administrative mode and Opera and they, too, went to the old page.

As for the 24hr. max flux, you put that on the current conditions  page and is the rolling 24 hr. value, not for a given archive dayʼs value.  P=(

14 uren geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

As for the 24hr. max flux, you put that on the current conditions  page and is the rolling 24 hr. value, not for a given archive dayʼs value.  P=(

That's because we fill the archive once the day is over and data is finalized,  the live data is of the past 24h and is the most what we can give. We encourgae users to find everything from the past in our archive so for more data it's all in the archive and not on the live data feeds pages.

14 uren geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

Nope, didnʼt work, though if I open it in a private window (which doesnʼt save anything, including page cache). 

it looks like the browser doesn't respect the headers that we sent out, that's something we can't fix. We explicitly set headers to revalidate upon request and don't cache the redirect, that's all we can do.

39 minuten geleden, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

That's because we fill the archive once the day is over and data is finalized,  the live data is of the past 24h and is the most what we can give. We encourgae users to find everything from the past in our archive so for more data it's all in the archive and not on the live data feeds pages.

I assume he means having a 24h max value on every single archive page so for this day there be a little text box saying the max 24h value was B1.77. I personally do not see a need for that however as there is already a solar flare list beneath the graph if there were significant events on that day. Is it so important to know that the max value for that day was a B1.77? I mean we even list the background flux in the graphs on the monthly overview pages.

chart.jpeg

6 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

it looks like the browser doesn't respect the headers that we sent out, that's something we can't fix. We explicitly set headers to revalidate upon request and don't cache the redirect, that's all we can do.

I think the problem is the “no-cache” affects the redirected page, not the redirecting page...but, no big deal, now that I know it is just a cache issue that can be easily worked around by opening the redirect in a “private window”—the only thing is, as this just started out of the blue last week, is it just me (quite possible) or did something happen to the website and this is just a symptom of a bigger issue???

5 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I assume he means having a 24h max value on every single archive page so for this day there be a little text box saying the max 24h value was B1.77.

Right, the max value for the given calendar, archive day.  It could be either as a text box and/or a plot on the graph (like with the noted flares).

14 minuten geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

I think the problem is the “no-cache” affects the redirected page, not the redirecting page...but, no big deal, now that I know it is just a cache issue that can be easily worked around by opening the redirect in a “private window”—the only thing is, as this just started out of the blue last week, is it just me (quite possible) or did something happen to the website and this is just a symptom of a bigger issue???

Well, the headers are set before we perform a redirect, so that is not the issue. I've tested it again, headers are always set and page is not cached so from our point everything is A OK. ?

FirefoxSchermSnapz001.jpg

For the other request, we'll look into it.

Archived